Video TR: Mount Darwin - 8-26-17 (West Ridge Route)

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Turtleggjp
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Video TR: Mount Darwin - 8-26-17 (West Ridge Route)

Post by Turtleggjp »

I had some extra room in my Vimeo quota this week after uploading my Sierra Challenge video, so I snuck this one in as well.

https://vimeo.com/234528934

In the future, I hope to be able to post these more quickly so they can be more useful for those looking for current conditions.

Enjoy!

Matt
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Re: Video TR: Mount Darwin - 8-26-17 (West Ridge Route)

Post by Vaca Russ »

Matt,

WOW! Another peak I really want to climb! I have not been able to watch the entire video. I can't wait to see it in its entirety.

Thanks for posting this video!

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Turtleggjp
Topix Acquainted

Post by Turtleggjp »

Thanks Russ,

I also did Humphreys the day before (that's why the video starts off with me calling it "day 2"), and I'll be posting that video as well once I'm done with the Sierra Challenge videos in 2 more weeks.

It's funny how Iris comments while climbing the summit block how I "seem to be very occupied with filming." I figured I was capturing some valuable information for people like you who haven't climbed it yet, and are wondering what to expect. I'll be sure to let her know just how helpful you guys are finding my videos to be. Unfortunately, I was alone on Humphreys the day before, so the footage won't be as helpful, but should still be pretty good.

Matt
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

Turtleggjp wrote:It's funny how Iris comments while climbing the summit block how I "seem to be very occupied with filming." I figured I was capturing some valuable information for people like you who haven't climbed it yet, and are wondering what to expect. I'll be sure to let her know just how helpful you guys are finding my videos to be.
Yes, I noticed that she made that comment. It is quite understandable when you think about how absolutely isolated you are at the time. But, this information is VERY Valuable. I am watching the video over and over.

It is very helpful that you shot video with Iris in the shot. This helps SOOO much on gaining size perspective relative to a person. I also really like the shots where you are filming Iris and then you pan out and we get to see all of the surrounding rocks in the route. Having a person in the shot REALLY helps understand the magnitude of the climb.

Great Job! Keep up the good work!

thanks,

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Turtleggjp
Topix Acquainted

Post by Turtleggjp »

I've often said that you can measure how much fun I'm having on a hike by how much video I'm shooting. At that point when she was climbing the summit block, I had already been up and down it, so my confidence was pretty high, and my worry about being so "isolated" was pretty low. When Bob Burd climbed Darwin during the first Sierra Challenge in 2001, his camera battery died before he could take any photos of the summit, so I wanted to try and document as much of it as I could. Not only for the benefit of climbers like you, but it's also fun to be able to show my non-climber family members what it's like out there too.

Glad if you are able to find the videos so helpful! I'll keep posting them as I am able to (and I'll keep shooting too!).

Matt
tie
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by tie »

Great video, loved the approach info, seeing the summit block, and the long zoom to Goddard. I did NOT love the singing. Row, row, row your boat. ;)
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular

Post by Teresa Gergen »

I definitely appreciated your video. Thanks.
Last edited by Teresa Gergen on Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turtleggjp
Topix Acquainted

Post by Turtleggjp »

tie wrote:I did NOT love the singing. Row, row, row your boat. ;)
Yeah, singing is not my specialty. Iris does a much better job of that.

Matt
jackofall
Topix Novice

Post by jackofall »

Did you two use any ropes, harnesses, or any other climbing gear besides helmets, axes, crampons? Also the West ridge approach, you came up from Darwin glacier? Correct. I'll be doing this next week and could use any info you can give me. Thanks. Video is awesome.
robertseeburger
Topix Expert

Post by robertseeburger »

I am super glad to see this reposted.. A peak I would love to climb.. and it is one I have always known I can make it to the summit plateau and wonder if I can make the summit block... this gives me more confidence.. great video. I would love to see a similar one on North Palisade from the west..