Mt. Johnson/Treasure Col--crampons?

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
fogey
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Mt. Johnson/Treasure Col--crampons?

Post by fogey »

I see from Shawn's July posts that there was a lot of snow below Mt. Johnson and in Treasure Col; we're headed that way this coming weekend. Does anyone have info about whether there's still lots of snow? My only visit to the area was in late June a couple of years ago; contrary to pretty much all prior accounts, there wasn't much snow in Treasure Col then and neither an ice ax nor crampons were needed. That was a drought year, and not much of a precedent, but enough to trigger some hope that this late in the season maybe crampons won't be needed?
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mt. Johnson/Treasure Col--crampons?

Post by Gazelle »

Dont know for sure but I am day hiking johnson and gilbert this sunday and I am going to take ice axe and crampons, rather carry them and not need them vs need them and not have them!
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Went over Bishop Pass 9/6 - 9/10, Goode Pass had a large cornice still hanging on its eastern side.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Thanks
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
fogey
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by fogey »

Thanks, both of you.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

did you go? some people were on gilbert and johnson on saturday was it you?
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

So yes that means I was there Sunday did use crampons on treasure col not sure necessary interesting to say the least snow covered loose talus! the ridge to Johnson from treasure col after Gilbert was great fun !
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Hey Gazelle - Just curious how the approach to the col was when you were up there? Any lingering snow in the valley or was it a mile of talus hopping?
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

No snow til treasure col