dicks and jacks peak oct 14-15

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Willythedog
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

dicks and jacks peak oct 14-15

Post by Willythedog »

Quick question:

Hoping to do a quick overnighter in desolation in a couple weeks.

Planning on doing dicks and jacks peaks. Which way is easier or better climbing? Dicks to Jack or Jacks to Dicks?

(dicks will be from the pass, jacks would be from the south east where the heather lake inlet is)

Bayview trailhead - Dicks Pass- dicks - jacks- camp heather lake- Dicks Pass- Bayview

Or

Bayview - Dicks Pass- camp Heather lake- jacks- dicks - Dicks Pass- Bayview
Last edited by Willythedog on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Re: Quick question- dicks and jacks peak

Post by Vaca Russ »

Which way is easier or better climbing? Dicks to Jack or Jacks to Dicks?

I have climbed both peaks at different times and have never done the traverse.
Willythedog wrote:dicks will be from the pass, jacks would be from the south east where the heather lake inlet is

Bayview trailhead - Dicks Pass- dicks - jacks- camp heather lake- Dicks Pass- Bayview

Or

Bayview - Dicks Pass- camp Heather lake- jacks- dicks - Dicks Pass- Bayview
Camp at Heather then bag both peaks in the morning.

I would recommend climbing them in the snow. :nod: :thumbsup:

http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... lit=+Dicks

http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... lit=+Dicks

Please be sure to post a report! :)

JMHO,

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

I would camp at Heather and head up Jack's first then over to Dick's. If you go that route then you get the harder part out of the way early and then once on top of Dick's it is easy trail pounding back to your camp at Heather. That is the route I took and I found it enjoyable...Camp at Heather then up that drainage to Jacks then over to Dick's and down to the pass. Nights have been cold so make sure you bundle up!! :drinkers:
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
Willythedog
Topix Regular

Post by Willythedog »

Yup gotta bring extra single malt- says forecast is mid 20’s at night. Planning on going this weekend if the fires in the north bay don’t get any closer to my home but definitely slightly uneasy.

Thanks for the feedback fellas
Willythedog
Topix Regular

Re: dicks and jacks peak oct 14-15

Post by Willythedog »

Got back from a quick overnighter. Got in late Friday night, had a few beers, slept in the car. Quite cold.

Don’t have pictures currently since I’m writing on my phone.

Started off from Bayview trailhead to dicks pass.

From there took the use trail to dicks peak. Got a bit windy up on the ridge but good weather otherwise, no smoke in the air.

Took the ridge line all the way to Jacks peak. The class 3 section looked a little past my pay grade with my full backpack and all so I traversed to the left side, holding on to the solid rock while moving over the loose scree. Probably a worse decision than just going up the class 3 part. Tried to go up a section right past the snowfield but got into a dicey section so I downclimbed and kept traversing till it got to a more manageable part.

Took the drainage down to Heather lake area, found a nice campsite above the trail near the drainage.
Not as cold as the night before.

Hoofed it back on the trail up and over dicks pass back to the car.

Took me 4.5 hours to drive back to Marin. F TRAFFIC
Harlen
Topix Addict

Re: dicks and jacks peak oct 14-15

Post by Harlen »

Yup gotta bring extra single malt- says forecast is mid 20’s at night.
Undrinkable! A Scots friend once shared some Laphroig with me, and I still haven't recovered from it.... "Smoked Peat" my @rse, tastes like old socks marinated in badger piss! Sorry Willy, but it sounds like sweet Gran Marnier weather to me! All the best, Harlen.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.