Baxter or Sawmill pass for an exit?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
muleaaron
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Baxter or Sawmill pass for an exit?

Post by muleaaron »

I’m taking some older scouts (14-17) on a trip this next summer and am trying to decide where to exit. We plan to enter at Onion Valley, over Kearsarge, North on the JMT past Rae Lakes, and then an exit over either Baxter or Sawmill Pass. I haven’t been up or down either of those passes, so I am looking to the collective wisdom and experience of the group.

Initially, the plan was Sawmill because I wanted to spend the last night fishing Woods Lake, but the descent looks pretty brutal on paper. We have 5 days to hike, which should be plenty of time without pushing the boys too hard.

So, to summarize:

Option 1
OV to Kearsarge Lakes
Kearsarge Lakes to Rae Lakes
Rae Lakes to Dollar Lake (day hike to Dragon Lake or 60 lakes basin)
Dollar to Woods Lake
Woods to Sawmill trailhead

Option 2
OV to Kearsarge Lakes
Kearsarge Lakes to Rae Lakes
Rae Lakes to Dollar Lake (day hike to Dragon Lake or 60 lakes basin)
Dollar to Baxter Lakes
Baxter Lakes to Baxter Pass Trailhead

Thanks!
muleaaron
Topix Acquainted

Re: Baxter or Sawmill pass for an exit?

Post by muleaaron »

Oh, and we’re going the end of July/beginning of August.
psykokid
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by psykokid »

I haven't been up either but I reached out to a friend that has been up both and his opinion would be to exit via Sawmill over Baxter. He commented that the Woods Lake area is definitely worth checking out. "Freaking Gorgeous" were the terms he used to describe the Woods Lake area. Baxter would be a shorter exit distance wise but is pretty steep and harsh in his opinion.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Been over both, I too would go with option 1, Woods Lake is pretty! :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Just a tidbit; the whole south and east side of Woods Lake is basically void of camp spots (ask me how I know). I don't know about the North side. The smaller lakelettes around have ample camping spots.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by cloudlesssky »

I'd recommend Sawmill pass mostly because the trail on the east side of Baxter pass is steep, slippery in spots and obviously unmaintained. Sawmill is a longer hike but the trail is in better condition, water is more accessible, and Sawmill lake could be a good area to stop for the night on the way out. Either one will be a hot and dry hike out into the Owens valley towards the end in Jul/Aug. Make sure your pickup isn't delayed long - there's no shade and likely no water at either trail head.
muleaaron
Topix Acquainted

Post by muleaaron »

Sawmill Pass it is! I too had heard good things about Woods Lake, and it’s good to know that we’re better off camping near one of the lakelets.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

I haven't been over Baxter, but Sawmill is very nice. Both the Woods creek/lake and Sawmill creek/lake/meadow areas are great.

That being said, depending not only on your groups' overall fitness level, but health and well being while in the back-country, you might consider Baxter. What I mean is, with groups, you never know if parents/scouts are going to be sick, not feeling well (AMS, etc), getting sunburned, exhausted, etc. Also, if the weather turns bad, it's always nice to have a closer bail out point.

Lastly, to get to Woods/Sawmill from Rae lakes (without going over hard x-c), you have to drop all the way to 8k to the bridge over Woods creek. You then have to climb all the way back up, through a rocky area I don't find particularly appealing. (It finally gets nice again by the Sawmill trail junction.) In comparison, the Baxter pass trail is right there @ Dollar lake. I don't know the mileage difference, but offhand it looks to be at least 10 miles longer going to Sawmill, along with an extra 2+- elevation drop/gain.

Here's a good piece of advice: drop a car at both THs. The Sawmill TH has got to be the closest, easiest and most convenient TH anywhere in the Sierra Nevada. That's because it's only around 4 miles from US395 and is paved until the last couple of hundred yards. (Even then, it's graded, smooth crushed gravel.) So, leaving a car there is effortless. Baxter is further in, so it take more effort.

If you left a car at Onion Valley, one @ Sawmill and one @ Baxter, you'd be set for any situation or condition. It would even allow part of the group to depart early if some members/parents felt like exiting a day or two earlier.
muleaaron
Topix Acquainted

Post by muleaaron »

Not a bad idea to stash a car at Baxter. If we end up having 3 cars, I’ll definitely consider it. It’s definitely nice to have an earlier bail out point.
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular

Post by cloudlesssky »

Hobbes wrote:Lastly, to get to Woods/Sawmill from Rae lakes (without going over hard x-c), you have to drop all the way to 8k to the bridge over Woods creek. You then have to climb all the way back up, through a rocky area I don't find particularly appealing. (It finally gets nice again by the Sawmill trail junction.) In comparison, the Baxter pass trail is right there @ Dollar lake. I don't know the mileage difference, but offhand it looks to be at least 10 miles longer going to Sawmill, along with an extra 2+- elevation drop/gain.
Hobbes does have a good point here. The drop down to Woods Creek Crossing and then back up to the Sawmill Creek trail junction might not be much fun at the end of a multiday adventure with scouts. It's a pretty good grind up from Woods Creek to the junction (2000'+/3.5 mi).