Maverick's 2018 Annual Meet-up 7/26-7/27

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Maverick's 2018 Annual Meet-up 7/26-7/27

Post by Hobbes »

oleander wrote: Pine Creek TH to Granite Park, day-hiking to Royce Lakes & back; hopping from there to Lake Italy; then going north on the SHR till you hit the McGee Pass Trail at Tully Lake; and exiting via McGee Pass.
So you think it's worth the $ to pay for a ride between Pine creek & MGee THs, rather than just loop back from the meet-up spot via Mono, then Morgan pass to Pine creek?

My guess it would cost at least $100 to have someone (a local from either Mammoth or Bishop) follow me to the McGee TH to park my car, then drop me off @ the Pine creek TH.

Flamingo, what do you think? Daisy? Yes, no, worth the expense?

Conceptually, I like the idea of knocking out another section of the SHR. That would leave Yosemite (north of Tuolumne) and the Monarch divide. Maybe Mav could pick a spot around Matterhorn for 2019 in order for me to have a good excuse to travel that far north. That would leave Monarch, which I'm pretty sure I'm never going to do since I don't see myself ever starting from the west.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Maybe Mav could pick a spot around Matterhorn for 2019
2019 will be in SEKI Hobbes. ;)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

So you think it's worth the $ to pay for a ride between Pine creek & MGee THs, rather than just loop back from the meet-up spot via Mono, then Morgan pass to Pine creek?
Can you hitchhike, rather than pay? McGee is a relatively popular trailhead, and so is Pine Creek.
Shhsgirl
Topix Regular

Post by Shhsgirl »

I am getting a new hip on Dec. 8, so probably won't be up to it this year. I am disappointed, because it looks doable for me.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Great location! 2018 is another summer in the Wind Rivers, so I will not make it. Could if it were scheduled earlier in July or later in September.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Flamingo wrote:Can you hitchhike, rather than pay? McGee is a relatively popular trailhead, and so is Pine Creek.
I don't mind the expense (too much); I was thinking more in terms of subjective evaluation. Is McGee worth the extra time/effort/expense vs Mono & Morgan?

I really like the idea of your loop, because it simplifies a lot of overhead. OTOH, maybe McGee is worth it.

When I went up Pine creek in mid-Sept, it wasn't that busy. When I dropped my buddy off @ Kearsarge a few days later, it was a complete mind-blow. I'm not kidding when I claim there were 100 cars parked at the TH. There was so much foot traffic coming in/out, it was like a day @ GG park.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

McGee Creek is beautiful, but it is going nowhere. It will be there for future trips and it lends itself to great loops between McGee TH and Convict Lake TH, with easier logistics between trailheads (short enough that you could stash a bicycle and ride back to your car).

By the way, from Big McGee Lake you can go over a pass that drops into Upper Hopkins Lake. This would allow you to both see the headwaters of McGee Creek and come out Mono Creek/Pass. I cannot remember the name of the pass. I have not done it but talked to people who had and it is not bad.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

WD, I think you are refering to Hopkins Pass.

http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... ns#p101490

In regards to the meet-up, my wife and I have not figured out summer dates for 2018 so I will remain a "maybe" until sometime next year.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I am getting a new hip on Dec. 8, so probably won't be up to it this year. I am disappointed, because it looks doable for me.
Wish you a successful surgery, and a total & quick recovery!!!

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

In regards to the meet-up, my wife and I have not figured out summer dates for 2018 so I will remain a "maybe" until sometime next year.
It would be great, if the two of you could make it. :)