TR: Family's first trip - Winnemucca Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Family's first trip - Winnemucca Lake

Post by SSSdave »

The Winemucca Trail is always a zoo between mid July and mid August because it is probably the most well known central Sierra area for summer wildflower enthusiasts. That is one reason you probably noticed women outnumbering men 3 to 1. Fishing is usually slow at WL because it is a short beautiful hike, thus heavily fished.

David
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

Very nice TR ! And how cool that you have enlightened your kids to the wonders of the outdoors - a gift that will last a life time. Great job!
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

Great report - thanks for sharing.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

Get off my lawn!! Love it
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hey efinley family, nice trip you all pulled off. It sounds like you guys managed to make the best of everything that was thrown your way... crowds, dogs, mossies, small fish, big tents, bad boots, and SNOWBALLS! We commend you for your perseverance and great attitude... even the kids had fun? (we reckon you didn't take our pack loading advice then?)
We've had similar issues, including losing snowball fights, and boot blowouts (see below).
DSC01599.JPG
Notice how the snowball filled Lizzie's glasses inside and out- nice shot!
20 lakes basin 032.JPG
My recent boot de-lam. and fix.
20 lakes basin 037.JPG
Are they really just glued to the sole? This has happened twice now on ski trips with lightweight NNN BC boots- never halted a trip though.

Okay efinley family, we do have one quibble with you guys, and it has to do with this:
I caught another 6" brookie on a castmaster and then a 13" fat brookie with my flyrod. That trout was the most beautiful fish I've caught in years and it was the only time all weekend I didn't have a camera with me when we were fishing.
The old "the one time I didn't bring the camera" ploy, eh?

Now this is a question for the kids- who never tell lies: Did your daddie really catch a "13 inch fat brookie?" Did one of you guys actually see this giant fish? If he's making it up to impress "giantbrookie," that 's okay; it doesn't mean he's not a great dad. All the best, and congratulations to you all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.