TR: 81 Days in the Sierra w/Rogue Photonic 7/1-9/19/16

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
alpinemike
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: 81 Days in the Sierra w/Rogue Photonic 7/1-9/19/16

Post by alpinemike »

Yeah I know it's been a while... but a lot has happened for me and I was gone for most of the summer you all know where. But without further delay here's week 6. I have most of the next 3 weeks written so maybe I'll get those posted in the next few days.

Day 36- Climb Hogback Peak
The morning dawned clear and beautiful. Today we climbed Hogsback Peak & were done before 1:30. Anyways we had another loungy & mellow day that was fortunately clearer to the South but not completely smoke free. Very few clouds built, but it’s cooler so I hope especially given the wind we are back into a cooler & drier pattern. Tomorrow we head to the Slide Lakes & climb Slide Peak.
Hogback Peak.jpg
DSC_1767.jpg

Day 37- Swamp Lakes to Slide Lakes

Today we went up Gimme Pass & climbed Slide Peak. The pass was easy and the peak was mostly a walk-up. The summit block though was easily Class 4 & quite fun. Another typical Secor peak... no mention of any crazy summit block that required some serious arm and leg strength. He claims it's just a Class 1 walk up all the way to the top. We made it down to camp early & pretty easily & found a decent area, but totally undeveloped, and so another fire pit was made. The night was pleasant & cool in the mid 30’s. So it definitely had turned to a cooler and drier weather pattern... just the way I like it.
DSC_1770.jpg
DSC_1780.jpg
DSC_1782.jpg
Day 38- Climb Peak 11,114
Today was straightforward, since we climbed the unnamed peak. We did it up the slope & it was definitely a ****, but the view was amazingly crystal clear & as far as the eye could see. We took a slightly different, but still a loose and shitty descent. Once we got back we still had plenty of time to lounge. We all bathed and swam and it was wonderfully refreshing. I helped plan Dan’s JMT trip, which was very fun talking about the areas. He would be starting the following month while Rogue and I were still out. We had our last fire that night & I enjoyed a good meal with some roasted and crispy tortillas.
Peak.jpg
DSC_1822.jpg
IMG_4102.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by alpinemike on Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

Day 39- Slide Lakes to Volcanic Lakes
Today was a much longer & arduous day. We first climbed up to what I’m calling Slide Pass & then traversed around to climb the ridge of Kennedy. The traverse was easy & the ridge climb was pretty fun. We got to the summit around 11 A.M., which was very good time. Another epically clear day with a spectacular view in all directions. One of the finest summit views I’ve had. From there we dropped down to Kennedy Pass and got an awesome view of Kennedy Canyon. The ridge traverse was very tedious from there with more downhill than we wanted & shitty sand mixed in with some boulders. But eventually we topped out on the sub-peak & finally saw what awaited us. A very annoying large talus block ridge-line was first. There was a decent boulder/grass ramp run-out to the bottom. But after descending a part of the ridge-line we were faced with a nasty chute that naturally had hard packed dirt and loose rock. It wasn’t long but a little spicy, especially for Dan. We were able to drop down very easily from there to the largest Volcanic Lake. At the Volcanic Lake we took a good break and Dan fished catching a couple small ones, but nothing big enough to eat. I really enjoyed the scenery & grandeur there. From there we headed up to the next lake & found no camping so now we made it to the next one down where we’re all laying out under the majestic sky & epic grandeur. These lakes were certainly the highest and most desolate lakes of the section & I thoroughly enjoyed them. Tomorrow we head to Granite Pass & climb Hutchings, which is our 8th Peak! Maybe out to food at Cedar Grove or Lower Tent Meadow.
DSC_1825.jpg
Kennedy Mtn.jpg
DSC_1841.jpg
DSC_1852.jpg
Day 40- Volcanic Lakes to Cedar Grove
Today was a long & challenging day. We made it all the way down to Road’s End from the Volcanic Lakes. We got a decent start and climbed up above Granite Pass in good time. Unfortunately we awoke to some smoky skies to the North, but the view was still pretty impressive from Granite Pass. We finally could see Hutchings & it looked to be a straightforward climb. From the pass we quickly dropped down into Granite Basin, which had a pretty view toward the Granite ridge but you couldn’t see Granite Lake. From there we climbed up to the Lip, where Rogue & I had lunch. Dan said he wasn’t feeling the climb up Hutchings so he went down the trail & would meet us at the bottom or Lower Tent. We began the climb up to the peak just as we saw some stock stop where we had lunch. The climb was easy and short. The summit block was fun Class 4. And the view to the South & East was exceptional. Albeit hazy it was still fantastic. We quickly got down to our packs and began the plunge all the day down to 5000FT from 10,340 FT. A serious endeavor that we topped last year. At Lower Tent we found no Dan so we knew he made it all the way down. And by 5:15, so did we. Fortunately the view down was much nicer than last year, since there was no smoke, and only haze. It also was not nearly as hot down at the bottom as when we left. A much more pleasant time down here it would be. Dan was waiting there for us for an hour & 45. We all hopped in & made our way to a delicious dinner. Double Cheeseburger & chili with some beer. How glorious it was being down here, eating good food & having 2 layover days. We got a pretty close site to the entrance/exit of the campground. We chatted about our adventures over the course of the adventures since Dan would leave the following morning.
Volcanic Lakes6.jpg
DSC_1884.jpg
Granite Basin.jpg
DSC_1890.jpg
DSC_1892.jpg
DSC_1907.jpg
Copper Creek.jpg
Day 41- Layover
This morning Dan bad us goodbye since he left by 8. We got our first & closest site, since it vacated and we did our usual errands of laundry and showering and naturally eating! We had 2 layover days since we got out one day early so we used it to eat as much delicious food as possible since the next section would be another long and challenging 14 day section.

Day 42- Layover
As is typical for us our layovers focused on lounging around and eating and we most certainly did that! Hot dog with chili & Caesar wraps & pizza’s among other things come to mind. We actually had internet access so we posted on HST & then nerded out by rebuilding our computers. Rogue is going for an 8 core i7 that’s over a grand I’m doing a 6 core for around $800. That's just for the computer processor alone. (Addendum... I eventually built a new computer but it ended up being cheaper than this original crazy plan... It's still pretty epic as I type on it. Rogue on the other hand actually decided to spend more money haha. :D) Our rigs will be pretty similar though.(Um.. nope they are definitely not). We definitely spent lots of time looking at computer parts & builds, since yes we are both pretty solid nerds and enjoy some of the finer technological things in life when we're not out here living like hobos!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

Alright Week 7! Officially over half way!

Day 43- Road's End to Junction Meadow
After saying goodbye to all the wonderful food we said goodbye to Cedar Grove which we won’t return to for quite a while. At least 2 years as I see it. Hell it may be even longer now that both Rogue and I have somewhat settled down in our civilized lives! Today we got up to Junction Meadow. We got a ride very quickly, within 10 minutes of standing on the side of the road. It was around 7:30 and from 2 guys that were doing the Rae Lakes Loop. We chatted with the ranger & then set off. We fortunately had a crisp morning & there was lots of shade even on the switchbacks. Overall, a hard day; but not horrible, since we got to camp by 4ish. Hot and dry in parts of the canyon & I certainly have no interest in being through it again, especially anytime soon. We had a good dinner and a fire followed by a restful night. I have done this stretch of trail several times now and while parts are scenic I will be reserving it for the no other option category of trips.
Kings Canyon.jpg
DSC_1930.jpg
Day 44- Junction Meadow to Lake Reflection
Today we made the climb to Reflection. Yesterday we did 3,100 FT+ of climbing & today was only 1,900 FT, so not a bad day. We made East Lake by lunch & we made camp by 3. There was a log jam across Bubb’s Creek which meant we didn’t have to ford it. No one camped here yet; whereas at Junction Meadow, a volunteer crew was doing some analysis on vegetation at East Lake. We jumped from some rocks and enjoyed the stupendous views but the water is still quite chilly. The pleasantries stopped there though as I **** up dinner royally. I spilled over half my gumbo out on the ground & then managed to spill more on my shoe later. Needless to say but I almost killed someone. I had to finish my triscuits so that I could at least get some more nutrition. Which, naturally **** me over for the next day since I had no crackers. After that **** we both watched The Edge of Tomorrow, which was a pretty cool movie. Tomorrow, a long & hard day awaits us over Little Joe’s Pass & to Lake South America.
East Lake.jpg
Lake Reflection2.jpg
Day 45- Lake Reflection to Lake South America
Today we climbed up Little Joe’s Pass, which was a **** & a half, given we took the wrong chute up. This of course caused us to do major technical Class 3 with our full packs with 12 days of food. Typical **** that we end up on as usual. I say this joking but honestly I swear half the time Rogue and I end up on some ridiculous crap that we never intend on and we're like... "Oh well, just another day for us in the Sierra". The 12 days of food bit really made this pass the challenge. I'll take technical Class 3 any day over carrying that kind of weight. Nonetheless we made it up that son of a **** & vowed we’ll never return given the grueling climb. It was much later than we hoped for, but we pressed on to Lucy’s Foot Pass in order to climb Ericsson. That pass, to me looked like an even bigger **** & I never intend on doing it. I convinced Rogue to climb the peak & we trudged up the easy slope to the ridge and climbed the fun Class 3 to the top. The view was hazy, but still very worth it. Ericsson is such a prominent peak from the North that it truly is a landmark that stands out and begs to be climbed. The trudge down and to LSA was pretty miserable, since we were totally out of energy. We got there after 7:30 and found a decent camp. Dinner was painfully late, but very satisfying. The night was cold and in the mid 30’s & we had a decent amount of frost & ice in the bucket the following morning.
DSC_1957.jpg
DSC_1959.jpg
DSC_1964.jpg
DSC_1976.jpg
Last edited by alpinemike on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alpine Mike-

alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

Day 46- Climb Stanford
Today, we climbed Stanford. Likely the most technically challenging peak of the entire trip with the exception of North Palisade and Mt. Humphrey's. First we made it up Harrison Pass, which was easy & then climbed the easy slope up to Gregory’s Monument. I certainly have no intention of ever going up or down the Northern side of Harrison. Too steep, sandy, and long for my taste. The view was pretty epic given it was a clear day & no smoke had inundated the Sierra yet. From Gregory's the real **** began and it got very real right away. The initial downclimb off the ridge was some of the sketchiest climbing I’ve ever done. Total Class 4 & not 3. We literally had to hang from the rock over a chasm & lower yourself onto a boulder. And then a difficult Class 4 move over an overhanging boulder. I thought I wasn’t going to be able to do it but I did somehow. From there the route was obvious with major technical vertical Class 3 on mostly good rock. Very fun and thoroughly enjoyable. The summit was badass & the view still good. I found a weird pipe bomb register just as we were leaving. Super new...mid 2000’s from some Colorado club, weird no doubt. Anyways the return was spicy Class 3 fun & the crux was difficult but easier than the downclimb. Definitely a much longer day than anticipated but still a success on my 2nd highest peak. [Addendum: This was my second highest peak at the time. Since then I climbed Humphrey's and Middle Palisade on that trip. Later that year I climbed Langley and finally Whitney capping out my elevation barrier at least for a while.]
DSC_1990.jpg
IMG_4117.jpg
DSC_2002.jpg
Mt Stanford.jpg
IMG_4121.jpg
Day 47- Climb Caltech
We climbed Caltech today via the South Ridge & it went very smoothly. We managed to climb the unnamed peak which turned out to be called Mt. Torchbearer. From there we followed the ridge. We got back to camp at a good hour and there was a guy on the shore of the lake that we chatted with. There were people camped here at LSA all 3 nights. Tomorrow we would explore a more remote part of the Upper Kern and climb Genevra.
Great Western Divide.jpg
LSA.jpg
Alpine Mike-

alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

Day 48- Lake South America to Lake 11,560 FT (Below Mt. Genevra)
Today ventured over to an unnamed lake below Mt. Genevra. Easy terrain to get there and we had enough time to climb Mt. Genevra too. It wasn’t nearly as bad as we had thought. The view was good, but unfortunately more smoke from the South has infiltrated the basin. We found a nice grassy area to camp & spent a lazy late afternoon in our tents as clouds built & collapsed over the divide.
Upper Kern Basin.jpg
DSC_2036.jpg
DSC_2038.jpg
DSC_2043.jpg
Genevra Lake.jpg
Day 49- Layover
Today was a lazy day. Less clouds built today, which might mean the chance for weather is over again. Today was a layover day filled with bathing & laundry. We decided yesterday to skip Jordan & do Milestone instead because of the shitty sandy route up it. Hopefully we can get Milestone, since it is a very prominent and impressive peak. I read a lot of Greek Philosophy and particularly Plato and that's typically what my layover days are spent doing. Over the course of the past couple years I have managed to read a good majority of Plato's work... time well spent I'd say! Tomorrow we head into Milestone Creek.
Alpine Mike-

Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Thanks for the update! It was interesting to read your account of the upper Kern since I was there this summer. Am looking forward to more.

I have been up Harrison Pass (with 16 days of food and in tennis shoes) and it is not as bad as it looks. I used my ice-axe even though there was no snow or ice. I jammed the ice axe in the dirt and pulled myself up to keep from sliding back down. It is slow and tedious, but before you know it you are up. At the time I did it, I had an injured (bruised) ankle so could not wear boots, so I just put Superfeet insoles in my tennis shoes.

Hope you made it to Milestone Pk. It is a great climb.
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

I had this week all typed about about a month and a half ago but the photo editing is what kills me so I finally got around to that. Maybe if we're all lucky I'll get my act together and finish this whole thing in the next month!

Day 50- Lake 11,560 FT (Below Mt. Genevra) to Lake 11,920 FT (Below Table Mtn.)
Today we made it up Milestone Creek but not without some amusement along the way. We descended from our lake down to the trail with no issues. We had a grand view up Thunder Creek which was gorgeous and an area I hope to visit someday. Casper Lake was truly magnificent and likely the nicest lake in the basin. We met an older guy who was in despair about getting to the Muir Trail via the Upper Kern trails. He lost the trails on both & couldn’t figure out where to go. Needless to say, we gave him the best advice we could given the trails are in bad shape & he would be doing cross-country regardless. He had issues with that, even though the terrain is so easy. Oh well… Hopefully he figured it out. Anyways, we continued along and picked up the Milestone Creek Trail for quite a ways. All the way into the basin we followed it, which was nice. This clearly was a very old trail that has somehow survived the decaded even though it has not been maintained for ages. Very strange clouds built early, but eventually progressed into thunderheads all day. When we took lunch, it looked like rain was on the way. Milestone Creek & Basin truly are a gem. Gorgeous scenery & super easy terrain make for a place I would return to. From there things got interesting. I was under the impression the route up Table started at a different lake than Rogue. Well, we made it up to our lake in good time & found very little camping and certainly no established camping. Pretty good indicator already that we were at the wrong lake. I pushed to go look at the face of Table to make sure it matched the photo of the route. Naturally getting around the lake was a **** in itself. But eventually we got up there & what did we see… Absolutely nothing like the photo, indicating it was the wrong side & we would have to move camp. And that’s exactly what we had to do. Drop altitude, just to gain even more of it back. Oh well, we got to see more of the area and check out a gorgeous lake on the way to ours. When we got here we quickly realized it was the right face and fortunately there were established sites. It was a very epic scene with the walls of Table & Midway above us and a view down to the Whitney region. By evening the clouds did nothing & we had a very pretty sunset.
Genevra Lake.jpg
Casper Lake.jpg
DSC_2088.jpg
DSC_2101.jpg
Milestone Creek2.jpg
Day 51- Climb Table Mountain
Today we had great success on Table Mtn. Got there by 10:30, which is our earliest ascent yet. The route was easy even though Secor claims otherwise…figures. And of course it is the South face & not SE face like he claims...another potential episode of Death by Secor. The squeeze that we had to perform was interesting no doubt. You really did have to squeeze through an opening of rock caused by a large chockstone. The worst part was the smoke which somehow totally inundated the whole range; likely from multiple fires. This caused us not to climb Midway even though we easily could have. The clouds built steadily but amounted to nothing. Hopefully the smoke starts to clear & we get better views as Table’s could have been epic, but way too hazy. Got back down super early & spent a lot more time in the tent. Hopefully not too much more of that as I am getting bored of it. I guess you can only read so much Plato before you get tired of even that. Tomorrow over Milestone Pass into Milestone Bowl & a climb of Milestone!
DSC_2115.jpg
DSC_2130.jpg
DSC_2131.jpg
DSC_2133.jpg
Last edited by alpinemike on Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alpine Mike-

alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

Day 52- Lake 11,920 FT (Below Table Mtn.) to Milestone Bowl
We made it up Milestone Pass pretty easily. Even the top section was easy with minimal Class 3. From there we traversed across to the start of the route up Milestone. We managed to find cairns quickly and by lunch (Noon) we were on the summit of the epic Milestone Mtn! The route overall was pretty easy with fairly straightforward Class 3. The view was less smokey but definitely lots of clouds were building and we didn’t dawdle on the summit. Anyways we got down to our packs and had a later lunch. The clouds were seriously building & the Kaweah’s were getting dumped on. So we descended down the pass into pretty Milestone Bowl. The view across to the Kaweah's was magnificent and a perfect setting for the impending storm. Camping was limited to being on some lumpy grass and we settled on it. Not long after setting up we got water and directly after the rain started to fall. Finally, after days of trying to storm we finally got one. The thunder & lightning put on a good show and it rained & hailed for over 2.5 hours. Needless to say we were happy we made camp before the **** got real. After the storm moved out it never really cleared up lending itself to believe we might be in store for some **** that night. Fortunately that never happened, albeit the night was pretty cold.
DSC_2136.jpg
DSC_2147.jpg
DSC_2168.jpg
DSC_2171.jpg
DSC_2177.jpg
DSC_2178.jpg
DSC_2181.jpg
Alpine Mike-

alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

Day 53- Milestone Bowl to Nine Lakes Basin
Today was certainly a very real day. We woke to fairly sunny skies but lots of clouds were around, which signified serious weather was likely to come early. We dropped down to the trail quickly & into the Kern-Kaweah Valley. Very beautiful area with stunning views & easy travel. It wasn’t long before we noticed massive plumes rising to the East of the Kaweah’s ridge. Oh yes.. **** would be getting very real today and early. And of course today, we had to cross Pants Pass! Onward we pushed when I saw the first bolt no later than 10:30. So early & already thunderstorms! As we made our way up to the shitty rock the clouds had formed thick all around above us closing us in in their doom. The Kern Ridge was getting heavy rain/hail. We made our way up the pass as quickly as possible to outrun getting soaked. Thunder was booming overhead regularly and I was no doubt a bit worried. We crested the pass at 12:12, a very good pace & the view was surreal looking towards Kaweah Gap & 9 Lakes Basin. I had been looking forward to this view for a long time especially after seeing it in one of sekihiker's reports a long time ago. I was already ready to head to the notch & off the pass when I noticed/heard some buzzing. I thought Oh… **** this is it Rogue is about to get struck by lightning! He was pointing with his trekking pole and his fingers were on the felt section rubbing and creating the buzz. He’s like, Oh, I hear the buzzing & it’s shocking me a little. I immediately started to "bolt" off that spot along the ridgeline to the actual notch of Pants Pass. **** ****, I thought, we could have almost got hit by lightning! The air was so electrically charged there that even a slight rubbing was causing static. I ran across the ridgeline & even I could hear the buzzing I created. I descended the one Class 3 move and started to feel better knowing I was off the ridgeline (the top that is). Rogue soon followed super carefree… Typical of his behavior haha. I asked if he had ever experienced that & nope, it was a first for both of us and I seriously hoped the last. We were now on the “fun” side of Pants Pass where slides abound with lovely loose rock. It was certainly loose as **** but manageable and we seemingly caused nothing major. We took lunch a little ways down. While climbing up the pass we noticed it got very cold and continued to feel colder. Eventually while climbing we thought we noticed some flurries coming down. Well at lunch it was no doubt snowing & something fierce with major wind. A full on **** blizzard on August 22nd; why doesn’t that surprise me. Anyways we continued down Pants without issue amid freezing cold winds to the Upper Lake because we thought we spotted camping. When we got there it had stopped snowing but the wind was fierce and setting up a tent was a real challenge. We obviously did amid a shitty area that had tons of small rock to clear out. At least we could finally take shelter from this cold ass storm. The wind was strong for a while, but no more snow came of it. The view looking towards the Big Arroyo was phenomenal with the Great Western Divide & Black Kaweah super prominent. Black Kaweah had lots of snow on it but it soon melted away. By dinnertime everything was clearing & the wind finally died down. We actually were able to cook outside of our tents unlike the previous day. I had discovered the previous day I had an extra dinner; So I mixed stroganoff & chili & it was epically good. The storm finally ended & we enjoyed a cool evening.
DSC_2188.jpg
DSC_2198.jpg
DSC_2203.jpg
DSC_2208.jpg
DSC_2209.jpg
DSC_2217.jpg
DSC_2218.jpg
9 Lakes Basin2.jpg
Alpine Mike-

Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Almost everyone likes trees, grass, flowers, etc. I would guess it's in our DNA. i always wondered why people like desolate lakes. It seems that most BPers do.