Must Do "A" List

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Must Do "A" List

Post by maverick »

Whether you just got into backpacking, restarted after a long layoff, or just have not gotten to some of them yet, because of this so-called thing called life, what areas/peaks in the Sierra are still on your must see/climb "A" list?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Re: Must Do "A" List

Post by Flamingo »

Mount Goddard... after decades of trekking around the Sierra, I still haven't visited Ionion Basin.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

This year I'm finally going over Forester Pass and to Milestone Basin, which I've never visited.

What I'd like to do: go over Mather Pass (haven't done that yet) to camp in Upper Basin. I'd also like to go back to Lake Basin and spend a layover day there. Two years ago when I went there for the first time on the Sierra High Route, a member of our group had an injury which eliminated our layover day there. It was still gorgeous but it would be great to linger a while in that basin.

I'd also like to go back to the remote lakes in southern Yosemite, near Red Peak Pass and Isberg Pass. The whole trip there had a very remote feel. It's one of my favorite places.

Edited to correct: Upper Basin, not Center Basin.
Last edited by SweetSierra on Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mtbski
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Mtbski »

Jerkey Meadow, up the Kern to Wrights lakes basin, over Rockwell Pass and exit via Shepard Pass. Fishing should be as good as it gets in the Sierras.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Well the list is long!! But next year Ionian basin peaks backpack trip hoping for 30-40 peaks on trip all sps in area and most 300ft prominence ones. Peaks around the meetup. Day hikes Norman Clyde, Clyde minaret, and many others, really want Whorl and Sill also, just to name a few!!! Also going to backpack the Trinity Alps this year. probably do some or all of the Sierra Challenge... Yes semi retired so can do WAY more just need someone to take care of dogs and chickens!
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
ironmike
Topix Regular

Post by ironmike »

Area: Kaweah Basin
Peaks: Mt Russell, North Palisade
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Dave_Ayers »

The Yosemite trails I've not hiked yet, most being in the northern third of the park.
TM to Tahoe (or reverse)
HST

Beyond the Sierra but still in CA, the Lost Coast trail and Mt. Shasta.
papercup
Topix Acquainted

Post by papercup »

Mount Goddard / Goddard Canyon

Tunemah Lake

Mount Tyndall & environs

Deadman & Cloud Canyon region

Kaweah Basin
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

At my age don't have a lot of years left and the next two years I'm focusing on returning to my favorite places ever visited--Upper Merced drainage and Crabtree Lakes--still searching for the elusive 20" golden.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
RichardCullip
Topix Regular

Post by RichardCullip »

One of these years, before I don't wake up still not dead one morning, I'd love to make the classic Sierra transverse - the High Sierra Trail. Would also love to hike the Kern from the headwaters down to Kern Lake and points south.
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard