Maverick's 2018 Annual Meet-up 7/26-7/27

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Maverick's 2018 Annual Meet-up 7/26-7/27

Post by oleander »

Gazelle wrote:Oleander, where are you starting from?
Kristine
We (Jimr, Ghost and I) are starting at Pine Creek.
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by schmalz »

I'd love to make it this year but alas the meetup is the same weekend that my beloved Phish is visiting Los Angeles, so maybe next year.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

I think I'll drive up to Pine creek Tues am (7/24) and get a start up to Granite park. Follow the SHR over Gabbot down to Mills the next day. Head up to the meet-up spot Thurs 7/26. I'll head out Fri 7/27, but not sure which way; options are McGee or Mono. Probably just leave it open depending on what others are doing - especially if I can get a ride back to my car. Otherwise, I'll head over Mono and then Morgan to finish Flamingo's loop back to my car.
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

I am taking Mav's route from McGee t/h over pace col. If anybody is interested in starting Wednesday 25th from McGee let me know, otherwise I will see you guys on the 26th.
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Beau.jpg
Should be there this year, especially since it is not in SEKI, or Yosemite. Myself and my new German Short-Hair Pointer, who is developing into quite a hiking dog. He did a 14 mile round trip on Saturday, and made it to the top of a Southern Sierra peak.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I am taking Mav's route from McGee t/h over pace col. If anybody is interested in starting Wednesday 25th from McGee let me know, otherwise I will see you guys on the 26th.
Should be there this year, especially since it is not in SEKI, or Yosemite. Myself and my new German Short-Hair Pointer, who is developing into quite a hiking dog. He did a 14 mile round trip on Saturday, and made it to the top of a Southern Sierra peak.
Wonderful SNOOOOW and Rich. :thumbsup:
Glad to read folks are bringing their dogs, which is what I was hoping for with this location. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Nice pooch Rich, nice radio too!
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by SirBC »

I was just wondering if most folks will be staying both nights (the 26th and 27th) or heading out on the 27th?
-------------
Dave | flickr
edhyatt
Topix Regular

Post by edhyatt »

I'd like to make one of these sometime too; but I'm in the Dolomites in July as it is close to a wedding (not mine :p )I have scheduled for late July in Slovenia.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Some stay, some leave; how's that for precision? LOL

Seriously, it's quite an achievement to pull off a meet-up in the middle of nowhere with a group of independent hikers. When Friday dawns, it really depends on mood, plans, different opportunities, etc.

In past years, sometimes maybe 50% have stayed around, other times everyone was gone by 9am. My guess is this location may hit the 50% retention mark, especially if local day hikes, fishing and/or peak bagging trips are available.