Look what I caught!

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Look what I caught!

Post by rlown »

Ok.. so a neighbor decided to get outdoor cats, and they like my backyard. So I bought a Havahart trap. Got the first cat today. 4 to go.
P1260833.JPG
So we're driving to Bodega bay and release it. I kinda history with cats that i won't talk about.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Look what I caught!

Post by oldranger »

Just what the world needs, more feral cats!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Caught 2 in one day! There was a choice; the pool, or set free. I don't like to turn them in as ferals because they might be chipped and come right back to the negligent owner.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Good catch!
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Santa Barbara County Animal Control has a Feral Cat program. If you have a barn or an acceptable outdoor shelter, they will introduce a neutered cat into that environment for the purpose of rodent control. You never feed them or let them indoors, they are completely on their own as long as they can shelter out of the elements.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

So, Walker Rd is basically a string of dairies between petaluma and bodega bay. They'll be very happy there.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by Troutdog 59 »

And you posted this online????? #-o Sorry, Russ, but I'm pretty sure the Petaluma Animal Shelter would have some issue with your methods.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

My wife unbeknownst to me actually called the rescue center. She said they said what your husband is doing is illegal. My response to her was, how much info did you give them.

My dogs are required to be on a leash and have tags on, but any outdoor cat can roam free? That is just wrong.

They might have an issue with it, but i live in the unincorporated part of sonoma county. Different jurisdiction :)
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

rlown wrote:My wife unbeknownst to me actually called the rescue center. She said they said what your husband is doing is illegal. My response to her was, how much info did you give them.

My dogs are required to be on a leash and have tags on, but any outdoor cat can roam free? That is just wrong.

They might have an issue with it, but i live in the unincorporated part of sonoma county. Different jurisdiction :)
Yes, there are different laws for cats and dogs because they exhibit different natural behaviors and are different animals (shocking! I know). So, yes, outdoor cats can roam free and trapping domesticated cats and either killing them or "relocating" them is not legal whether in the city or county, though a little easier to make the case for them being feral outside of the city. If you caught a cat with a collar on it (obviously not feral, in other words), did anything other than release it at the same location, and they found out somehow, it would not go well for you.
Let's say that "I have a history with dogs" would that make it okay if I killed the neighbors dog or released them in the boonies to fend for themselves and almost certainly die? While I may not like cats, I do realize that my neighbor has a right to own a cat, and legally, that cat is allowed to roam. I also believe in treating others as I want to be treated. I wouldn't want them trapping and killing my pets, so I don't trap and kill theirs (you may think that a domesticated cat will be fine in the farm country west of Sebastopol, but you would be wrong).
Last edited by Lumbergh21 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

I hadn't looked at this thread until now. Thought for sure it was a fish story, so I brewed a hot cup of tea and opened up the thread to read all about it.

Now I'm sorry I did. You see, we have a little cat rescue here and work very hard to conduct actions which are polar opposite to that described. :(