Topo maps for Wyoming?

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Topo maps for Wyoming?

Post by John Harper »

I'm a bit behind the tech curve on topo maps. I have a complete set for CA that came on CD that I got several years ago (TOPO4!, I think). Planning a trip to Wyoming in July and would like to find some maps or software.

What are my current options? I was planning on bringing my netbook so I could access WiFi at stops along the way and plan day hikes. So, I've got a PC based notebook (no CD drive) and my trusty Iphone 4S. Paper maps are fine with me, although not as easy to manage in quantity.

I don't really need to buy some fancy GPS, most of this trip will likely be drive and dayhikes to creeks, at least that's the plan at the moment. We are planning to head toward Alpine, up through Hoback and into Jackson Hole area. Possibly north after that into Yellowstone/southwest MT. Also looking at ID, UT spots as well on the way up and way back.

Thanks for any information.

John
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: Topo maps for Wyoming?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Once in Wyoming, the first thing to do is to pick up the newest official state road map (usually available at rest stops). Next step in detail, are BLM and FS maps. These are useful, although not topographic, for the access roads. USGS topo maps are nearly useless and outdated for local roads. There has been incredible oil and gas development on the west side of the Wind Rivers with many new roads and re-routed older roads. The BLM (office just on the north side of Rock Springs on the highway to Pinedale) has good maps. You can get FS maps at the Pinedale office of Bridger NF just as you enter Pinedale. You can buy the Bridger Forest maps on the internet. The G&F office is across the street and has a free fish survey brochure. Similar maps for the area near Jackson, but I do not know exactly where these offices are. Also, go to local hunting and fishing stores. All the public land is heavily hunted and there are plenty of good maps for that.

USGS topo maps are good for the wilderness, but beware of "trails"- many are no longer maintained. Paper maps are available at all local FS offices and local outdoor stores. I have the Wyoming TOPO4 CD, but, sorry, no way am I giving that up!

Others who are more up-to-date on the latest electronic gadgets and maps will have to chime in on that stuff. I am as ignorant of that as you!
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

Have you looked at www.caltopo.com? In addition to the standard USGS topos and the Google map and satellite views, it has many other layers, including the 2016 Forest Service topos, the Forest Service visitor maps, and OpenStreetMap. It also has some facility to download tiles for offline use - check the blog or knowledge base (under the top left Caltopo menu).
-Phil
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

https://usfs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webap ... 1b82b53c1e

Topo maps for National Forest lands. Free downloads.
Print on photo paper if possible. Better print quality and slightly more weather and abuse resistant.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

Ordered a couple FS maps of the areas (hopefully) that I think we're headed towards as a start. Alpine, Hoback, up to Jackson Hole.

John
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hey John, Lizzie and I highly recommend a dawn day hike somewhere along the Snake River, directly across from the Teton Range. I is one of the most stunning mountain views found anywhere! Especially when coupled with the amazing array of wildlife you might see there. We once sat on the sage bluffs over the Snake River Plains, and watched both wolves and a grizzly bear circling a herd of elk. Bring your binoculars for sure John. Best of luck- we're envious.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

I just got a Wyoming Topographic Recreation map. Looks pretty good for a basic overview of Wyoming. Most the creeks are labelled as well as campgrounds, etc. Looks like a good start to a plan.

John
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

OK. I have to chime in. I have no new advice on maps John, but I do hope you have a great trip and I look forward to some reports!!! I use Caltopo and Mytopo and both cover the area. Like Daisy said though, the trails are often not where they are supposed to be. Sorry to hijack this thread, but Wandering Daisy, look what you have started (said with a big smile)!! Your fantastic posts on the Winds, Roberts post last fall (as well as a few others), and your recently revised Guide Book (Beyond Trails in the Wind River Mountains) have me going there this summer/fall (late August into early September) to check it out as well. Going to start at the very well used Big Sandy TH and do a lollipop hike over Hailey and Washakie Passes. I know its a high use area, but being new to the area and the fact my wife is joining me for our first backpack in ~ 15 years ( oh yeah!!!!!!), I thought it best to choose an area with well worn trails when compared to the Roadless Area of the Reservation. That said, I can hear the lakes of Glacier Creek and the Wilson Lakes calling to me (as well as the areas around Atlantic Creek, Silas Creek, the Roaring Fork, etc., etc., etc.), so it looks like I will return for many more years to come. :D
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead