Your preference: Bench Valley or Blackcap Basin?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
limpingcrab
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Your preference: Bench Valley or Blackcap Basin?

Post by limpingcrab »

Sorry, normally I don't ask questions like this and just go figure stuff out, but my wife wants to hike Goddard this summer so I'm putting a little more effort into finding the most scenic route.

We're starting at Courtright, going over Hell for Sure Pass, up Goddard, and then back out via either Bench Valley or Blackcap basin to a second car at Wishon.

If you've been to these basins, which one would you be most excited to go back to?

Note about us: We're comfortable with any level of cross country travel and enjoy every type of scenery and activity. A bit vague, sorry again.

Thanks in advance, the site and all of you are awesome!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Your preference: Bench Valley or Blackcap Basin?

Post by maverick »

finding the most scenic route.
BCB! :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

Why pick one? why not skip HFS, and go Devils Punchbowl, Big & Little Shots, XC over to Bench, McGuire Lakes, up the west shoulder of Blackcap Mtn. and over its top to BCB?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Or go Punchbowl, Big N Little Shots, over to Bench around the chain of lakes over to Confusion Lake and down into Blackcap, then out...
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

What the what!? I'm not sure why I didn't even consider doing both? Maybe I think in loops instead of lollipops, but I've already been up to hell for sure so maybe lollopopping our way to Goddard would be a good option.

Thanks for the replies!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I agree. Do both. Each place is really good. If you fish, take your gear. On the way out from BCB you could stop at Woodchuck.
AaronRDavis
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by AaronRDavis »

I did Goddard out of Courtright, via Hell For Sure, then back over Valor Pass and through BCB. BCB was idyllic and delightful, especially after a couple days at Martha and climbing Goddard.
pcole
Topix Novice

Post by pcole »

Not sure how much time you have, but may I suggest starting and finishing at Courtright by way of Finger Col and Hell for Sure pass. That way you get to see Blackcap Basin and Goddard Canyon. Crossing Reinstein Pass from Goddard Bench is a snap. A trip report on this trip I did in Sept 2019 can be found at: https://esa-rol.com/content/gallery/78/leconte-divide
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

Thanks, and nice trip report! This question was from 2018, we ended up leaving a car at Florence Lake and then getting dropped off at Wishon, going through Blackcap Basin and leaving our stuff by Martha Lake while we summited Goddard. We hiked out via Goddard Canyon and the ferry across Florence back to our car. It was a great trip!