Best way to Road's End w/out car?

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
JawnMuir
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Best way to Road's End w/out car?

Post by JawnMuir »

Pretty sure I'm going to do the Sierra High Route this August...figuring out last bit of logistics and wondering what the best way to get to Road's End is? I'd be flying into Fresno but don't have a car, and limited funds. Are there affordable taxi-shuttle-type things at all? If I could get myself nearer to the park - say, Centerville - is it relatively easy to get a hitch? Thanks all
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Best way to Road's End w/out car?

Post by maverick »

Post the date that you would need the ride here, ask them to PM you, and offer them a fair amount. Inquire about the possibility/costs of an Uber of Lyft from Fresno to RE too. Don't forget to calculate the $30 entrance fee into Kings too.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

well, this gets you to the valley.. https://yarts.com/routes-and-schedules/ ... te-valley/

After that there are buses that can get you most of the way there. Check out Markskor's article as well. http://www.highsierratopix.com/hitchhik ... e-sharing/
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

rlown wrote:well, this gets you to the valley.. https://yarts.com/routes-and-schedules/ ... te-valley/

After that there are buses that can get you most of the way there. Check out Markskor's article as well. http://www.highsierratopix.com/hitchhik ... e-sharing/
Roads End is in Kings Canyon.

Although, perhaps we should start a letter campaign to get YARTS to expand - obviously there are people who could use a Kings Canyon bus.
Last edited by AlmostThere on Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Russ,

The OP is trying to get to Road's End in Kings Canyon, there unfortunately is no public transportation in Kings Canyon. Getting out from RE is somewhat easier by hitching a ride, but that won't help the OP, unless they could get to Grant Grove some how and hitch a ride down from there.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Try this: https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/directions.htm look at the "by bus" section.
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

I've picked up a couple hitchikers heading up the hill, once you get out past the bend in 180 near centerville I think you'd be able to get up there but it's a gamble. I hitched from grants grove out one time and it went quickly.

If you're still figuring things out last minute post to this thread again. I live on the 180 at the bottom of the hill and go up there often. I'd be happy to have an excuse to drive out there if the schedule works out. Or send me a PM when the time is near.
edhyatt
Topix Regular

Post by edhyatt »

I did it the other way round and came in at Twin lakes which was an easy hitch; that probably helps not one iota :o
JawnMuir
Topix Novice

Post by JawnMuir »

Yeah, hitching into Bridgeport is super easy. Problem is getting into KC. The NPS page doesn't help since it's oriented towards going to Visalia, which doesn't make sense as it's way south of Road's End. I guess it seems like either: 1. pay someone lotta $$ to go more directly from Fresno (trying to avoid if possible) 2. going to Visalia then shuttle into the park and try to hitch within the park that way (cheaper, but will take a lot of time) 3. more directly hitching via Centerville, Grant Grove, etc. I want to do the SHR NOBO bc it seems easier that way with conditions and also how the book is laid out. Plus opportunity to celebrate w/double hot springs @ end! (Buckeye, then Travertine)

I guess what I was looking for was people who have had experience hitching or knew of some other local bus/shuttle that gets you closer. Sounds like there indeed isn't anything :(
I don't mind to pay a lil for a ride but $150-200 for a taxi (what I've been led to believe the cost is) is a lot of money for me. I guess I'll post again if I indeed do the route, was also just trying to get an idea of if I need to set a whole day aside for getting into the park or not. Sounds like I'll have to.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I would post here again a few weeks before and see if anyone's going up from the Fresno-Clovis area who is paying attention.

I am starting at Roads End exactly one time this year, on July 3. We are leaving shuttle cars at Wolverton and shuttling ourselves on July 2 so we can get back to the starting point at the end of the trip.

I just ran the Uber app to see what it would quote me to get me to Cedar Grove from Fresno - it's saying 89.34.