Ideas for 2-Night Yosemite Trip - Early September

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Fairbanks142
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Ideas for 2-Night Yosemite Trip - Early September

Post by Fairbanks142 »

Hi all, looking for some ideas for a 2-night trip to Yosemite in early September. We're experienced backpackers, but none of us have been to Yosemite. We'll plan for one day at the beginning to see the sights -- car camping or staying somewhere just outside of the park -- and then a couple of nights in the backcountry.

I'm looking for suggestions on a location where we could pack up to 6 miles in and camp for 2 nights in the same spot, with some day hiking from camp. A lake with fishing would be ideal, but we'll forego the fishing if something else would be much better for scenery. Some significant elevation gain is fine. Starting high with less elevation gain is even better!

Any suggestions for newbies that want to get the most out of a few days in Yosemite, along the lines of the above? Thanks all!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Ideas for 2-Night Yosemite Trip - Early September

Post by rlown »

Evelyn Lk out of the Tuolumne lodge TH (Rafferty Creek trail). With the permit letter, you can camp at the TM backpackers camp ($6/person) the night before.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Ten Lakes is 6.2 mi with a climb of roughly 2100 feet and a good introductory trip. Grant Lakes are slightly closer. Plenty of lakes to hike to or scramble around on the in between day. Another worth considering is Sunrise Lakes and hiking to Cloud's Rest on the 2nd day. Up Rafferty Creek to the Vogelsang area is an option, but is closer to 7 mi. Great places to explore near the HSC.
Fairbanks142
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Fairbanks142 »

OK thanks rlown, I've seen other recommendations for Evelyn Lake and I'll take another look. Dave, thanks for the suggestions, and I was just looking at the Sunrise Lakes earlier today and wondering, with their location, if there are backcountry camping restrictions around the lakes?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Cathedral Lake (Upper)>Echo Lake>Matthes Lake>Nelson Lake>Reymon Lake>Out Elizabeth Lake trail.
Good fishing and great scenery. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

All the suggestions so far are heavily used - reserving a permit is probably good.

I recommend Nelson Lake (good use trail south from Elizabeth Lake not shown on maps). About 6 miles in, with about 1500 feet elevation gain. Beautiful large lake with great sunset show on the east side cliffs. Can't vouch for fishing - I don't fish. On layover day, can explore easy cross-country up the valley to higher lake and ridges. Little used. Permits are rarely all reserved.

-Phil
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Well, I do fish and can vouch for what is in Townsley and Evelyn. Evelyn has up to 17" rainbows. Townsley has golden hybrid (deep end.) Hanging Basket is in range. I hear middle sunrise is a good lake for fishing as well.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

rlown wrote:Well, I do fish and can vouch for what is in Townsley and Evelyn. Evelyn has up to 17" rainbows. Townsley has golden hybrid (deep end.) Hanging Basket is in range. I hear middle sunrise is a good lake for fishing as well.
With some creativity one can link various of these locations up as well, although to do it in 2 nights requires off trail creativity and some athleticism, too. All of the locations mentioned are quite worthwhile (for fishing) including all of the Sunrises (Lower is my choice for best combo of quantity and quality). I'll add one to the mix but keep it at an acronym so as not to be snagged by various web snagging thingies---JPL--not better than some of those mentioned above (I prefer some of the others in fact) but worthy of inclusion as a quality fishing spot with large fish that can potentially factor into creative (off trail) routes that link to some of the other lakes mentioned in this thread.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Hey welcome!
RE your intended trip, (having spent a little time myself in Yosemite), some thoughts.
You say you are experienced but does that include any history of hiking at altitude - >10,000 feet? Been to the High Sierra before? BTW, on this adventure, how many are there in your party? Your plan... looks good and not too ambitious. Sounds like you want hiking all the first trail day - gaining 2,000 ft - resting/ exploring/ fishing day 2, and hiking out day 3.
Yes, you will need a wilderness permit and the primo THs can get crowded during the summer; the ones you want are in high demand, and for good reason. Yosemite, especially high up, is frickin' awesome.

You could make reservations beforehand and hope, but my advice (as you are coming in after Labor Day - Sept 3), and as everything slows down drastically after the holiday, opt for a "next day permit" when you arrive. Talk to the Wilderness Permit ranger in Tuolumne Meadows when actually in Yosemite. Trailheads to lakes like Evelyn, Cathedral, Sunrise, May, Matthes, etc will all be available. Additionally, as fires/ smoke/ water availability can alter plans...you can pick the best trip available based on current conditions then, rather than picking/ reserving one now and being disappointed. Plenty of time to do your homework.
Have your packs 2-night ready - can rent a bearcan there - (required) - and have a great time.
Mountainman who swims with trout
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

1. Mildred Lake
2. Wegner Lake