¡Truchas Mexicanas! A Fish Report

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

¡Truchas Mexicanas! A Fish Report

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

I'm not sure if this is a "sensitive" report (since I'm so vague) or perhaps a topic better placed in "Beyond the Sierra Nevada." If so, please move accordingly.

In my ongoing quest to catch as many salmonids as possible, I had my eye on one of the trout that exist south of the border, beyond the “big beautiful wall.” :rolleyes: :thumbsdown: In the course of my research, I came across a fellow native trout fanatic here on HST, whose initials are JH. He lives down in the southern part of the state, speaks Spanish and has fished for and has caught the San Pedro Martir trout (a.k.a. Nelson’s Trout or Oncorhynchus mykiss nelsoni) in the past. He wanted to go back again and wanted to explore some of the even more remote parts of the stream, so once I had the opportunity, I packed up my gear, hopped on a plane and met JH and we headed south into Baja Norte.

This doesn’t exactly look like trout country

Lots of interesting flora that I don’t see growing wild very often

After a long, dusty drive we arrived at the river (or rio), packed up our gear and hiked upstream in the blazing sun. It was warm enough in the spring, I wonder how hot it gets in the summer?! After a few miles, we stopped at a pristine section of the rio and rigged up with a few terrestrial patterns. It wasn’t long until we were into some nice fish.

The fishing was really good, both of us catching as many of these rare trout as we wanted, all the while enjoying the scenery, the experience and the promise of a cold beer at a nearby oasis.

Here is a section of the water we fished

We fished for one and a half days, caught plenty of trout and had had ourselves a helluva time. We did stay in a hotel one night on the way out and this little guy tried to share the room with me. I was able to capture him in a bandana and set him loose safely outside. Catch and release of a flying mammal!

There are other trout to catch down in Mexico, but they are located in even more remote and hard to get reach places. They will have to wait for another time, but it would be fun to head south again and fish for a new species of salmonid.

Enjoy!
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: ¡Truchas Mexicanas! A Fish Report

Post by TahoeJeff »

Muy beuno!
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
RooPhillip
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by RooPhillip »

VERY cool! Thanks for that! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

Great report, Dave. It was fun sharing the water with you, and spending a few days south of the border. Your pictures capture the ruggedness of the area very well. That was one hot hike back to camp for those cold Pacifico's!!!! I'm already missing the place, such great little arroyo.

Buena suerte, amigo!!

John
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

It was a great trip, indeed and I already treasure the memories made. Cold beer always tastes good, but especially after that hike, it was the beverage of the gods! Thanks again for guiding me down there, you rule!
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rhyang
Topix Regular

Post by rhyang »

Amazing !
papasequoia
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by papasequoia »

Great stuff. I remember reading about John's "eventful" trip down there a year or so ago. Nice to see the fish are surviving down there and surprising to see such a nice, healthy stream in such a harsh environment. Thanks for sharing!
Nature always wins
> miles = < people