trip advice - 3 day early may, sierra-ish ?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Satchel Buddah
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

trip advice - 3 day early may, sierra-ish ?

Post by Satchel Buddah »

hi all, I have a long week end early may - couple weeks before labor day. Planning to go get some fresh air before permit season begins. My base plan is to go goof off yet again in redwood mountain, but I was wondering if there was something else lovely and sierra-ish that would be doable this early season? It's a bit early for anything in high altitude I am afraid.
I'm an intermediate backpacker, not olympic shape but decent. My gear can probably take 15 fahrenheit nights. Thank you for your recommendations!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: trip advice - 3 day early may, sierra-ish ?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I think you mean Memorial Day, not Labor Day. Where are you located and how many hours are you willing to drive? Are you willing to walk on snow at all? Anway a few more specifics would help.
Satchel Buddah
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: trip advice - 3 day early may, sierra-ish ?

Post by Satchel Buddah »

Whoops! You are right - Memorial Day.
Love Walking/hiking in snow! have micro spikes,gaiters, winter boots and an ice axe but no snowshoes. Next item on the list. I can navigate covered trails.
I roost in LA but I am fine with a 6 hour drive tops. (The drive to SEKI usually takes me about 3 hours and some). i will be driving out at 4 am Friday.
I will have to drive back Sunday night.
Could be a loop or a hike in/out, long travel or short. Always delighted to try new places, but I recoil at overused sites.