TR: Lassen Peak (2/17-18)

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
pakoR
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

TR: Lassen Peak (2/17-18)

Post by pakoR »

This is my 3rd winter trip to Lassen Volcanic National Park, and my 3rd time not reaching the summit of Lassen Peak. In 2016, I turned back about 900' from the summit because of strong winds sweeping the mountain. I was getting blown every which way and getting pummeled by snow crystals and ice carried by the wind. In 2017, the weather was perfect, but my climbing partner started getting a headache which didn't subside, and we turned back at about 9000' feet. This year, Sunday morning presented us with strong winds and low clouds reducing visibility. To augment the experience, the temperature was 10°F at 0400.

On Saturday, we left the visitor center at about 0930, hiking up the road, which for the first 2 miles had sporadic patches of frozen snow. Beyond mile 2, the snow was more consistent. Around the visitor center, there was 1-2' of snow. For comparison, below is a photo from last March.

The day started off warm, with a clear sky, and temperatures in the 50s. The south ridge of Diamond Peak was free of snow, so we couldn't take the shortcut over the ridge. After mile 2, we put on our skis and snowshoes and continued on the road. We reached Lake Helen at about 1500, set up camp on the west side of the lake and had dinner. By 1700, the wind was picking up, and the clouds were rolling in. As the sun was setting, its rays poked through a break in the clouds and created a beautiful band of red on the hills across the lake.

We planned to leave camp at 0400 on Sunday to head for the summit of Lassen Peak. However, the strong wind continued through the night, and the temperature dipped well below 20°F. At 0400 on Sunday, we decided to remain warm in our tents and to continue sleeping. By 0800, the wind had diminshed, but the fog and clouds limited visibility, and the temperature was hovering in the mid-20s. The peak was not visible from Lake Helen. We ate breakfast, packed our gear, and headed back to the cars.

Enjoy the photos. See you next year Lassen Peak!

Kohm Yah-mah-nee Visitor Center in March of 2017

Lassen Peak in the distance

The road beyond mile 2

Sporadic rock fall along the road

Same section of road in March of 2017

Clouds over Lassen Peak

Lassen Peak in March of 2017

Lake Helen

Sleeping accomodations

Sunset at Lake Helen

Mt. Diller, barely visible through the fog
rhyang
Topix Regular

Re: TR: Lassen Peak (2/17-18)

Post by rhyang »

Great pics, and a lot more snow this year than I was expecting. Lassen can be tricky in the winter. I've gone up the S slopes, the SW ridge, and the north side in the winter and early spring.

March 2014 on the north side

Feb 2013 via south slopes

The old radio repeater, which has since been removed

Shasta, viewed from near the crater

Feb 2010, south side couloir

11' of snow at the SW visitor center
Willythedog
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Willythedog »

Planning on heading up to Lassen end of this month. For the approach would you fellas suggest backcountry skis or snowshoes? I do not have skins.

Also I’d imagine there would be enough snow now to take the diamond peak shortcut?
rhyang
Topix Regular

Post by rhyang »

They update the conditions page pretty regularly -

https://www.nps.gov/lavo/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

Sounds like they've started plowing the road from both ends. You may be hoofing it on the road a ways.

Starting to fantasize about packrafting some of the lakes on the east side this summer :)
Willythedog
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Willythedog »

Yeah from the looks of it they plowed to the shortcut. Ranger said it snowed again so not sure on how the road is. Worst case I guess I’ll have to walk on asphalt for a couple miles.

Will report back.