X Country Taboose Pass Trailhead to Sawmill Pass Trailhead?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jimmyjamhikes
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

X Country Taboose Pass Trailhead to Sawmill Pass Trailhead?

Post by jimmyjamhikes »

Hi everyone!

I am thinking of doing a solo trip this weekend from Sawmill Pass Trailhead over Sawmill, Pinchot, and Taboose, and back down to the Taboose Pass Trailhead. Has anyone ever closed that loop with a cross-country meander through the sage and the lava fields between the trailheads in the Owens Valley? It's only 7 miles as the crow flies and it looks like about half of that would be on easy dirt roads.

Thanks in advance!
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Re: X Country Taboose Pass Trailhead to Sawmill Pass Trailhe

Post by sparky »

I wont be able to directly answer your question, but I would expect that to be difficult once you get off the dirt roads. It would be an endless barrage of ups and downs in terrain too small for the topo to see as you traverse over. However, level ground would be fairly trivial as you as you steer clear of dense brush, I just dont think you would find much of that. 4 miles as the crow flies with constant micro route finding is very time consuming. I would not be surprised at all to learn you spent 8 hours on those 4 miles. This entire stretch would be against the grain.
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

I say go for it! . . . but prepare to be miserable, hot, and your progress slow-going. The lava fields north of Division Creek and south of Goodale Creek are rough terrain. As @sparky said, this could take all day to cross.

Personally, I would skip the bushwhack (or, rather, lava whack) and instead walk down to Tinemaha Road, and then road-walk north to Taboose Creek Road. In my experience, I've found there is a surprisingly amount of traffic on Tinemaha Road --- probably due to the campground and Aberdeen Resort --- and I bet you could score a hitch north to Taboose Creek Road. You would then just follow Taboose Creek Road up to the trailhead, and you'd have the creek nearby for water if you need.
jimmyjamhikes
Topix Regular

Post by jimmyjamhikes »

Thanks so much for all the great advice!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

What about stashing a bicycle at one trailhead? I know a fellow who bought one of those fold-up bikes specifically to use between trailheads. You can bike back to your car and then return to pick up the pack.
jimmyjamhikes
Topix Regular

Post by jimmyjamhikes »

Also a great idea -- thanks Daisy!