Recommendation for 3 day 2 night trip Memorial Day Weekend

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Trailguru
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Recommendation for 3 day 2 night trip Memorial Day Weekend

Post by Trailguru »

Can someone recommend a good 3 day 2 night trip (cross country is fine too) where snow wouldn't be as huge of an obstacle?

Was thinking of heading to Moose Lake and expect it to be pretty impacted by snow above Pear Lake. Been there before so I'd feel comfortable going again but was thinking of what other alternatives I'd have below (11k feet) where the snow wouldn't be as much of an obstacle as say, 12k and above

Willing to drive all the way to Yosemite if possible. Also thought about 1000 Island lake area and East lake and Lake Reflection (though Bubbs Creek might be impassable)
Dmasten
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Recommendation for 3 day 2 night trip Memorial Day Weeke

Post by Dmasten »

You might want to think about Cottonwood Lakes. I was just up there earlier today (TR coming soon!), it is mostly melted out and while New Army Pass still has snow, it will probably be gone by Memorial Day.
oakboy711
Topix Novice

Post by oakboy711 »

I second the cottonwood lakes area, I have done it 2 times and am planing again this July. Great views and fishing!

Farther into Mammoth would be over Duck Pass to purple Lake and back.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Not sure if it matters to you or not but fishing season does not open in the Cottonwood Lakes until July 1st.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
oakboy711
Topix Novice

Post by oakboy711 »

Oops...totally didn’t see the “Memorial Day” in the OP. You could fish soldier lake behind the pass I guess. Still plenty of Golden’s.
Trailguru
Topix Acquainted

Post by Trailguru »

Hey Guys,

I've been to the cottonwood lakes area several times and while I do agree that it is beautiful I do want something a bit different. I'm leaning towards Rush Creek TH to 1000 Island Lake via Island Pass and complete the loop by descending via Agnew Pass. Would that be doable?
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Every Memorial Day weekend, many Sierra Nevada novices line up at ranger stations only to find the trail to their favorite lake (the one they once visited mid summer) is still mostly covered with snow and their lake is frozen. Great if one is an experienced enthusiast with proper gear for snow travel and camping. Every spring at this time people ask these same questions and there is always unrealistic advice included by those that talk up some favorite timberline place they visited mid summer.

The key to understanding what destinations are possible year to year varies a bit with weather and snow pack but generally one would be wise to do your own homework in two ways. Check topographic maps, focusing on lake and trail elevations and exposures and blocking large stream crossings. And then check satellite images for snow. See our Conditions sub-forum. This MD, most landscapes below 8.5k ought be snow free, dry, with lakes melted out. Anything above 9k may have some snow especially more shadowy exposures except for the far southern areas of the range since those areas were droughty this winter.
Trailguru
Topix Acquainted

Post by Trailguru »

Hey SSDave,

Got a permit to hike out of Silver Lake and into Thousand Island Lake. I know it will be snow covered but I have checked hundreds of pictures from years past trying to extrapolate my conditions to different months of past years (So mid July 2017 might be similar to end of May of 2018) sort of thing. Either way it sits in the JMT so there will be people going up and down this main artery
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Not many people go "up and down" the JMT by Memorial Day weekend. Be prepared to break trail in some spots. The scenery will be great with the snow, even if the travel more difficult. (SSSDave- I know snow is difficult for photographers, but it does make the mountains look impressive as you walk by). Even if you do not make it all the way to Thousand Island Lake I think you will have a good trip. You could do a side trip to Lost Lakes or Alger Lakes, which are both very scenic. The trail directly from Gem Lake to Thousand Island Lake WILL likely be steep and snowy and dangerous. I would avoid that trail.

I did this trip June 29-July 1 2010 which was a higher than average snow year. No snow at Gem or Waugh Lake, but it was solid once to the JMT.
Merge4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

https://www.nps.gov/depo/planyourvisit/ ... mation.htm

snippet:
The Reds Meadow Valley Road to Devils Postpile National Monument remains closed due to snow. Road crews have begun plowing the road and opening is anticipated by mid-June. Check back in late May for an official opening date.
---------------------------------------------------------
Suspect given snow levels it may open for the holiday despite the above annoying status they never update until they actually open it. That noted, they may also not open if infrastructure is not ready. Also would make ML businesses happy forcing more visitors into motels and restaurants.

On the link I posted in the Conditions sub-forum checked the EOSDIS Worldview page and from the last date it was not clouded over, May 11 date (note last week snowed as low 8.5k twice). By holiday, lake shores ought partially melt out and maybe even parts of the lake.