North Lake Campground Question

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Syrio
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

North Lake Campground Question

Post by Syrio »

Planning on doing the North Lake South Lake loop. I want to get there the day before my permit starts, park my car at South Lake and then hitch/walk to North Lake. Can I just set up shop at the North Lake Campground even if its full so long as I pay? I see there's a few walk in sites. This would be on a Monday too.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: North Lake Campground Question

Post by rlown »

I would say no. We hit that same issue one year (campground full and the walk-in sites full.) We hiked up the trail a mile or two until we found a flat spot near the creek and camped there. Wasn't that inconvenient.
apeman45
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by apeman45 »

I would also say no. It's not like Horseshoe Meadows where you just cram in and make a spot. It's an established car campground in a very popular area with fishermen and hikers. Mid week you may score a spot if you get there early. It's a very small campground.
Syrio
Topix Novice

Post by Syrio »

rlown wrote:I would say no. We hit that same issue one year (campground full and the walk-in sites full.) We hiked up the trail a mile or two until we found a flat spot near the creek and camped there. Wasn't that inconvenient.
Am I correct in reading the map and interpreting your comment that the wilderness area starts a little into the trail thus leaving some space for legal dispersed camping before the John Muir Wilderness begins?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

If I remember correctly, there is a sign on the trail early on that says "Entering Wilderness area." We camped beyond that sign. Looking back at my past permit information, there are the typical campsite restrictions (away from water, bear cans, etc.) but nothing about not being able to camp in the wilderness except for areas we weren't visiting.
Syrio
Topix Novice

Post by Syrio »

rlown wrote:If I remember correctly, there is a sign on the trail early on that says "Entering Wilderness area." We camped beyond that sign. Looking back at my past permit information, there are the typical campsite restrictions (away from water, bear cans, etc.) but nothing about not being able to camp in the wilderness except for areas we weren't visiting.

I'd be getting there the day before my permit actually starts, so I ask about the wilderness area because then I could just disperse camp before the wilderness boundary.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

The wilderness boundary is about 1/2 mile and 250 feet above the campground. You can camp anywhere before the boundary that is not within the Inyo NF "Recreation Restriction Area Boundary". On my map that appears to just end a minor distance beyond the campground. That area is dense shadowy forest including aspen. Don't expect to see trail side obvious camp spots because almost no others camp there since one would have to park way back at North Lake. So just wander off the trail some where it looks like one might find flat enough spots to toss down a few sleeping bags. I found several up near the boundary that gave me a modest head start on my trip versus the parking lot, a trip that legally started the following day. Note there are also a few better camp spots within the wilderness but before Loch Levin, well up the trail all but one also not visible from the trail.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Note there are also a few better camp spots within the wilderness but before Loch Levin, well up the trail all but one also not visible from the trail.
If you get to the trailhead early enough, this would be your best bet.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Syrio
Topix Novice

Post by Syrio »

maverick wrote:
Note there are also a few better camp spots within the wilderness but before Loch Levin, well up the trail all but one also not visible from the trail.

Imagine I’d be getting up there late afternoon evening after walking/hitching from south lake. Thanks for the input guys.

SSSdave, would you be able to PM me a pic of that map or tell me where I can find it online?
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Syrio wrote:
maverick wrote:

Imagine I’d be getting up there late afternoon evening after walking/hitching from south lake. Thanks for the input guys.

SSSdave, would you be able to PM me a pic of that map or tell me where I can find it online?

That is the official Inyo national Forest Map available at ranger stations or online. Essential for those that disperse camp like this person.

https://esiaonline.org/shop-online/inyo ... forest-map