alternative to Black Divide Crossing at Lake 11654

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Ang
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

alternative to Black Divide Crossing at Lake 11654

Post by Ang »

6D2T.jpeg
Hi has anyone traveled this basin north of Lake 11654 (base of suggested crossing over the Black Divide) or know if it is relatively easy going?

I am too chicken to try this crossing (from Lake 11654 over the divide to Lake 11939) by myself as people have described it as a bit exposed with some class 3/4 moves. I want to drop into the basin NNW and connect up with the JMT to bring me around the the Black Divide as it seems as though the terrain would be less risky. Looking at the TOPO map it seems like it could be class 2 and relatively friendly as it is not too steep? has anyone been this way?

I thought without any further info I could stick to this plan and scope the slope when I get there and see if there looked to be a good path down. If that basin is not recommended or looked treacherous I could ultimately reconnect to the JMT traveling east via Hester Lake but this would be a bit of a detour.

Once around the divide I plan on heading back into the Ionian Basin from Lake Helen to climb the Black Giant and then explore the area. I an relatively comfortable on class 3 terrain but no keen on exposed class 3 if I can help it.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: alternative to Black Divide Crossing at Lake 11654

Post by rightstar76 »

Check out RoguePhotonic's amazing pictures and journey to Lake 11828 from Lake 11654 especially his class 3 crossing of Black Divide. I would look at the picture he took of the class 3 ascent and decide if it's something you think you'd feel comfortable doing. I know it's something that I would not feel comfortable doing.

http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... =60#p94844

You can also use the search box to find out what other people have done. Good luck!
Ang
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: alternative to Black Divide Crossing at Lake 11654

Post by Ang »

Thanks for your response! that's a good trip report with pictures. I find it hard sometimes to gauge the degree of exposure and gradient in pictures but they are still very helpful. Judging from this report I still feel that black divide crossing is not something I'd be comfortable with.