Questions about High Sierra trail

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Questions about Hight Sierra trail

Post by rlown »

Bearikade makes custom sizes in case you are are interested: https://www.wild-ideas.net/custom-bearikades/

I did a 12" that fits in my pack horizontally; easily lasts me 10 days and I still come out with food. For your intended use, the Weekender or the scout would work as well. You don't need the Expedition.
Satchel Buddah
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Satchel Buddah »

thank you all for the input!

Calorie wise, I am a 5'8 185 pounds slightly overweight 46 year old with a muscular build. I usually do 2500 cals/day but most of my trips have been 3 days so it did not matter so much - the victory burger was never too far. 7-8 days is going to be new (going solo so I will not smooch off my comrades).

Overall the focus of my reflection for food storage regardless of regulations anywhere I go is going by the adage "a fed bear is a dead bear" and I will not take chances.

I do like what Daisy is implying - Use the Bear boxes along the way at the beginning while I have surplus, then camp free with the small BV when that is gone. The ursack is effective if used properly and can provide a fallback plan in case the bear boxes are full... Now I need to run some rehearsals to figure out food mix/volume.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

Keep in mind that other stuff besides food must fit into the bear canister. That includes anything with any odor like toothpaste and toiletries.
Satchel Buddah
Topix Acquainted

Post by Satchel Buddah »

yupp! that is all in always :)
gregodorizzi
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by gregodorizzi »

Wandering Daisy wrote:For example, I use steel cut oats instead of instant.
Wow! Don't you have to cook steel cut oats a relatively long time? If there's a quicker (less fuel-required) way, can you share? I'd much rather take steel cut than instant, but with the latter, I can add water at any temp and down them right away.
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

gregodorizzi wrote:
Wandering Daisy wrote:For example, I use steel cut oats instead of instant.
Wow! Don't you have to cook steel cut oats a relatively long time? If there's a quicker (less fuel-required) way, can you share? I'd much rather take steel cut than instant, but with the latter, I can add water at any temp and down them right away.
She probably uses a cozy and doesn't care that it takes half an hour or longer.

Another way would be to run rolled oats through a food processor to make a kind of flour. That would cook in a couple of minutes. You'd have to be okay with the idea of eating gluey gruel though.

I personally don't worry about it so much. I think it's hard enough to find foods that I like, that cook pretty easily, and also have a decent calorie/weight ratio (without having to rely on drinking oil). So while I don't ignore the bulk density and packability of food it isn't the #1 criteria when I'm choosing what to take.

You could just fill your canister full of a paste made from sugar, protein powder, vegetable oil and vitamins. You wouldn't even have to cook it, just use a big spoon.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

In 2016 I did a 7 day, 100+ mile hike in SEKI starting at Crescent Meadows, using a BV450. I planned on 2,800 calories and 110 g protein per day. I finished with some left over food, about 6 ounces of it if I remember correctly. As Wandering Daisy pointed out, you won't need to fit the first day's food in the bear canister, as you will be eating it. You also probably don't need the last day's dinner as you will have that after exiting; so you are really looking at 6 breakfasts, 5 lunches, 5 dinners, and snacks for 6 days in the canister. I never felt terribly hungry on my 7 days in 2016; my 15 days last year is another story.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Yes, I use a cozy. I boil steel cut oats about 3-4 minutes, then put it in a cozy for about 10 minutes. I simply pack up the tent while waiting. My problem with regular oats is that I prefer crunchy stuff to gummy stuff. I absolutely HATE instant oatmeal packets- gummy, horribly sweet and artificial tasting. Another quick breakfast is couscous- boil water with dried fruit, butter, nuts, cinnamon. Add couscous, put on lid, turn stove off, let set a minute.

The point is that when bear can space is tight, you have to consider food volume. For example, the Knorr noodle sides are all pretty bulky but the "rice" sides are compact. The "rice" is really not all rice- a mix if rice and short little pasta. Best soup out there in my opinion is "Darned Good Chili" (Bear Creek brand). Instant brown rice is also very good. Anything that says 10 minute cooking, can be boiled (be sure to stir) 2-3 minutes and put in a cozy to finish. Almost anything can be improved with shredded parmesan cheese, fresh garlic or fresh basil.

I happen to like to cook. When I am with others who use instant stuff, it does not take me that much more time- only about 5 minutes. I pre-package my meals at home. If you do not like to cook or pre-pack meals at home, then by all means go with the instant stuff (it is however bulkier). I prefer to choose my own ingredients. To me, most pre-done meals are too salty, too sweet, or taste too much of bullion. I also like to experiment with more subtle flavors.

More cooking does take more fuel, which adds a bit of weight. But the gas canisters do not have to fit in the bear can. For a 7 day trip, I use a medium gas canister. For a 10-11 day trip, a large one. For a 3-4 day trip, the tiny little one. If you use a wind screen on the stove, and solar pre-heat water (platypus put in a dark stuff sack and set out in the sun) you can save a lot of fuel.

And honestly, I have plenty of time to cook while backpacking since 6-8 hours of hard hiking a day is about all I want to do. I just do not do 20-mile days, by choice, not that I cannot. I also fish a lot (which IS time consuming by the time you catch, clean and cook).
Satchel Buddah
Topix Acquainted

Re: Questions about High Sierra trail

Post by Satchel Buddah »

Thank you Lumberg, that is hopeful! :)

And Daisy, had never thought of couscous! That would be both delicious, low pack volume, low energy cooking and quite flexible for dinner/breakfast. How do you deal with butter storage on long trips? Are you using these diner size small bits? or you have a dedicated container for it ?

Would love to get away from dehydrated, because it's not very good ;-) ... I am a foodie cook also, but my repertoire for packable backcountry recipes is quite tiny. I have much to learn!
longri
Topix Fanatic

Re: Questions about High Sierra trail

Post by longri »

Couscous is dehydrated.

Butter keeps pretty well without refrigeration. The bigger issue is that, like chocolate, it melts on hot days. But if you keep it in middle of the bear canister it'll probably be okay.