Maverick's 2018 Annual Meet-up 7/26-7/27

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Maverick's 2018 Annual Meet-up 7/26-7/27

Post by SirBC »

*Edited* I was considering combining a Bear Lakes Basin trip with the meetup but think I will keep those as separate trips. So, I'll likely be heading in on the 23rd over Mono pass.
-------------
Dave | flickr
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by SNOOOOW »

Gazelle wrote:So getting closer who is in for this still? I am for sure!
Was looking forward to my 1st meet up but after chatting with PBR (vacaruss) a bit more we have decided that those dates will work for us to go and bag Middle Pal. "Maybe next year" I guess... :drinkers:
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Post by Love the Sierra »

I am intending to come but am getting confused by the various posts. Some are saying to come in via LLV and I am not sure what or where that is. Coming in through Edison Lake? I was thinking of coming in through the McGee trailhead on the east side. I am not a cross country maven, though I believe that I am able to make it in to the lake safely... especially if some of you would want to hike in with me. :)
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

As usual, my schedule for trail crew has been changing. It looks like I may be able to just walk in sans saw - it's still making more sense to come in from Edison. Not sure what route I want to take, have to look at maps again.

For those considering Pine Creek, may want to check out the washout in the trail to Morgan Pass....
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I am intending to come but am getting confused by the various posts. Some are saying to come in via LLV and I am not sure what or where that is. Coming in through Edison Lake? I was thinking of coming in through the McGee trailhead on the east side. I am not a cross country maven, though I believe that I am able to make it in to the lake safely... especially if some of you would want to hike in with me. :)
Several of us are coming in via McGee on the 24th, you are welcome to join us. :)
LLV is Little Lakes Valley (Rock Creek), Mosquito Flat Trailhead, from there you would hike over Mono Pass, down to the Laurel Creek Trail junction, and up to Grinnell Lake.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Post by Love the Sierra »

Are all of you reserving permits now? I usually have pretty good luck getting the permits the day of our trip. Does the Lone Pine ranger station leave permits in the overnight box? I seem to remember being told by a ranger that they will not leave permits for you at that specific station.
Thanks!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Are all of you reserving permits now? I usually have pretty good luck getting the permits the day of our trip. Does the Lone Pine ranger station leave permits in the overnight box? I seem to remember being told by a ranger that they will not leave permits for you at that specific station.
Thanks!
Got them 6 months before the entry date. :)
They only leave permits in the night box, after hours, between Nov-Apr.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

So I will probably get the permit walk in, on Wednesday, and drive up early on Thursday. Take the ferry across Edison and walk up to Grinnell, spend a day and come out on Sunday the same way back to the car. Easy peasy. If anyone wants to do the same I can ask for a permit for 2 or 3.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

So I will probably get the permit walk in, on Wednesday, and drive up early on Thursday. Take the ferry across Edison and walk up to Grinnell, spend a day and come out on Sunday the same way back to the car. Easy peasy.
This is great to read AT, will see you in several weeks. :)

Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

Is anyone planning on hiking out Friday over Mono pass to the Mosquito Flat TH? I think I may come down the PCT from Mammoth pass, then catch the Mono creek trail up to Grinnell for the meet-up.

My issue is getting back to my car from Mosquito Flat. It seems like a big hassle to leave it beforehand, then get a shuttle to Mammoth. It would be a lot easier if anyone is driving down to Tom's Place after hiking out Friday. From there (or 203/395 junction), I should be able to get an Uber/hitch back up to Horseshoe Lake.