…too real to be shown to someone I don’t know

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
edhyatt
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

…too real to be shown to someone I don’t know

Post by edhyatt »

A not so early train seemed kind to self as at this time of year, and with this forecast walking until 9pm seemed eminently reasonable…not something one normally has the energy for. A bag dropped at the Cairngorm Hotel in Aviemore signals bacchanalian delights post hike…clean underwear; well, some underwear for he who roves commando.

The bus rolls in and I roll out at Coylumbridge for a fairly oft-walked leg warmer stretch; not that much of that is needed – its 23 degrees C

Ere long the Lairig Ghru comes into view, with Braeriach looming to the east; the intention is the normal path, the actuality a need for water and a different way up.

Even an initial flip up to the shelf before the real climbing starts reveals the want for iron in my hill legs; there’s quite some work to do here. A twisted psyche least amongst them.

Lurchers Crag looks good baking in the sun, not so the scar linking to the Chalamain Gap; but hey, I’m here doing my bit for that too.

I’m not entirely filled with joy of the deepest kind when contemplating the toil up the shoulder of Sron na Larige…but happily water (to accompany spirits) is low so a nip around to Coire Gorm and an ascent there fools me into thinking there is less to do….

The feeling of imminent death cessates a little and rhythm developes; tis hot though.

Yet where else to be but up here, traversing the headlands of vast corries whilst bathed in a fine light rendered cool from a light breeze.

We will get a little over-zealous with panorama mode up here.

The summit is perfect. Still and no one. Stunningly beautiful light casts shadows and renders colours in delicate pastels hues over this unique landscape.

There is of course the odd jarring ‘bad Woody Harrelson movie’ moment from a camera-loving dotard; if only it loved him back.

Anyway, Woody keeps on keeping on.

I’m afraid I’ll forget this evening…walking now over the broad summit plateau looking for water and a sheltered pitch for the night.

I stop near the first snow patches and their meltwater pools of sucking rocks and gravel to find a lovely grassy patch…where the wilderness is tamed by a 570g petrochemical-industry derived tent.

The cameras EXIF data tells me I pitched at 20:34 – still in a T shirt from now until I retire a couple of hours later such is the warmth up here.

Then to compound my technological sins I wander off in search of a mobile signal. There’s a thin pretence at ‘photography’ to cloak this desire.

Amusingly both my lighters fail….so an emergency low-tech match is deployed to prepare supper.

Its never really going to get dark (22:17).

Yes well, that early morning light can be cruel.

The failing lighters sputter enough (05:30)…

I’d spotted another tent the night before, there is that and another couple bivvied down by the Falls of Dee; here though a hoolie bloweth…perhaps not the quietest night. Smug. Git.

If you’ve ever tried to tell someone what you get from being in the hills…..you can’t; I gave up trying long ago as I don’t want them to join me….

My God in whom I believe not…

Obviously I am ticking peaks here…assiduously touching summit cairns and so forth….so as to be within bounds…

Yet sadly that magical high level rollercoaster must come to an end, with a descent to Corrour. Before (my legs and heart)…died I thought I’d head up again. But the heat of yesterday tugs at me….I don’t like the heat. Full sun up Ben Macdui….its not for me on this day…the glens and stupor are preferred. Driven by a sh*te sleep pattern for the last few weeks due to the early dawn…and (whisper it)…maybe legs not quite where they should be….

So downeth we go…and judging by the ascendants it was a busy night at Corrour (quite why one would stay there…)..

Now now; whither? Braemar is easy and close….b b b b but….transport not so. Tilt on the other hand (although it conjures experiental fear of tired footfall in its later environs) offers another night out and perhaps some evening shade (aka, sleep).

Yes. That.

Crossings are dryshod.

Five years since I trod this way; cloaked in the grief of another life.

Click. Whirr.

Little wonder I stayed away so long….this where I played out the misery of loss.

I think I’ve done about 15….seems like enough although it is an early finish; despite a couple of hours snoozing in the shade post the seemingly endlessssssss schelp to the White Bridge.

Deliberately choose a narrowing in the valley with the idea that the sun will go down or shadow encroach…either would be good for slumber.

My favourite ant.

Sorry Aunt Kate.

Quickly now the morn though it won’t be so; but it will be 14 miles before lunchtime. Avast behind.

Comfort to run to.

Time to waste in regret.

Games flick on and off in my head. Life, work, and love. Love life, work, and goals.

Missed goals.

Broken life.

Self-imposed pressures….a baggage to shed.

Tilt fades to tarmac and I pop back to the plan; a real reality. What next is succour. Avoidance.

Yeah… a Red Bluuuuur….MOVE OVER Kinley !

But really, back in Aviemore with my first ever Irn Bru in 57 years…

And this….

No really…it was a meal-deal..

Check in and check out.

More behind the paywall…

….et voila
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Re: …too real to be shown to someone I don’t know

Post by Tom_H »

Very enjoyable gallery. Thanks.

I've heard that all that territory was once covered in huge ancient oaks, all of which were cut down to build the immense navy Britain once had. Do you know if that is accurate or not?
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

Wow! :)

Perfect weather, perfect pictures, long sunny days (and very short nights). Still can't get these images out of my head they are so stunningly beautiful.

This one you took of the lake is amazing:
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/890/4159 ... 8a83_o.jpg

If I am ever so lucky to have an epic day in the mountains like the one you had...
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

"My God in whom I believe not…" My favorite pic.

I hate boulder fields as well.. Try eastern Oregon or Utah near the lava fields. A real boot-ripper.

I make it mandatory for everyone I go with to carry two lighters. Sucks when you flick your Bic and there's no spark. Yes, I have a flint stick as well but i like my knife so I avoid carrying it.

Great TR!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Another one of your adventures. Thanks for the wonderful photos. But I am not sure exactly where these hikes are. Are your trips on public land or private? I thought I had once heard that in UK, the public has access to private land along the fence lines? Or are your trips on land that is similar to our National Forests? Do people to hut-to-hut hiking in this area? Or is it more wild.
edhyatt
Topix Regular

Post by edhyatt »

Thanks.

This one was in the Cairngorms, Scotland.

https://caltopo.com/m/0N0V Quickly drawn in Caltopo

These days you have the Right to Roam pretty freely in England https://www.gov.uk/right-of-way-open-access-land

But not to camp; which is illegal.....which is ignored.

In Scotland you can pretty much do as you like, including camping.

There are no huts as such...its not like the Alps, but there are unstaffed Bothies https://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/ ....like the one in one of the pictures; I prefer my tent....as bothies have 'people' in them quite often [-X
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I should have said "pub-to-pub", or lodge-to-lodge, not hut to hut. I meant hiking between civilized lodging. This kind of hiking is on my bucket list to do when I get too old to carry a backpack. My husband is Scotch-Irish and he would do it too, preferably with our border collie (who would just fit into the scene but getting her to Scotland may not be easy).

I think the European "civilized" backpacking would be fun to try. I particularly liked that photo of your feet in the bathtub at the end of the trip. Now, that I could go for. :)
edhyatt
Topix Regular

Post by edhyatt »

Its not so easy in Scotland....but much of the rest of Europe's mountain regions are set up for just that sort of thing.

Its my plan too.......then once decrepit, Pilgrim trails O:)
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Wandering Daisy wrote: My husband is Scotch-Irish and he would do it too, preferably with our border collie (who would just fit into the scene but getting her to Scotland may not be easy).
Here's a starting point for taking your collie, and make sure to read the re-entry US regs as well. Based on what I read, I wouldn't bother.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel
edhyatt
Topix Regular

Post by edhyatt »

Tom_H wrote:Very enjoyable gallery. Thanks.

I've heard that all that territory was once covered in huge ancient oaks, all of which were cut down to build the immense navy Britain once had. Do you know if that is accurate or not?
Apologies; I missed this.

As far as I am aware most forest were lost to pastoral activities.

A stand of old Caledonian pines is quite the sight.