2018 Backcountry Conditions Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

1000 Is Lake 6/8

Post by maverick »

Paz Menelevitch on SNCC-TPP wrote:
This place looks like this as of yesterday.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

HST 6/7

Post by maverick »

Omar Masry on SNCC-TPP wrote:
Left Crescent Meadow on Thursday along High Sierra Trail. Great conditions. Some snow at Kaweah Gap but easy to find trail and micro spikes worked great (I didn’t bring an axe or crampons). Once you get to junction of JMT near Crabtree it’s a veritable swarm of very nice (though many seem stoned....) PCT hikers. Plenty of water along HST. Mosquitos are bad at Junction Meadow. Carry water when you leave JM and head toward Crabtree Meadow. Bearpaw Meadow High Sierra Camp is now open for business too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

McGee Pass/ Morgan Pass 6/8-6/11

Post by overheadx2 »

Did some day hiking out of Mcgee pass and rock Creek to Morgan pass 6/8 to 6/11.
Some mosquitoes at shaded areas. 1.5
Slight patches of snow at Morgan pass at 11200' ish, but not much.
Snow level pretty high in mcgee area (I only hiked to the beaver pond)
Last edited by maverick on Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: subject tab updated
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Upper Wonder Lakes 6/7

Post by maverick »

Rodney Thompson posted on THS:

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Aloha Lake via Glen 6/9-6/10

Post by maverick »

Brandon Bies on SNCC-TPP:
Did a quick overnight to lake aloha last Sunday. My entry point was glen alpine and the trail was clear for the most part. Few patches of snow but easy to get through. Running water on the trail once you get higher in elevation. Have fun in Desolation this summer everyone.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Mt. Agassiz 6/11

Post by maverick »

Matt Thomsen on MP wrote:
The Northwest Slope of Mount Agassiz. Did this yesterday (6/11). Hit snow about half way up the switch backs up to the top of the pass. The snow is melting fast.

CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Kings Canyon High Basin Route 6/5-6/12

Post by CAMERONM »

JUNE 5- 12, southern portion of Skurka's Kings Canyon High Basin Route (KCHBR)
Lodgepole>Silliman>Tabelands>Lonely Pass>basin under Elizabeth Pass>Copper Mine peak and pass>Cloud Canyon and round Whaleback>Colby Lake>Talus Lake>Thunder Pass>South Guard>Longely Pass>back down Cunningham Creek>Avalanche Pass>Roads End
I'll try to post a trip report soon but the simple story is stay away for a bit longer! As with some other reports, this snow is not consolidated, you have to choose descent timing on passes carefully, the postholing down from Copper Mine into Cloud Canyon was hellish, ranging from 18-36 inches, and I turned back from Longely because of a massive overhanging cornice and super-sketchy edge rock condition. Not many mosquitos, but this snow is just no fun. Saw no one the entire time except that last day going down Avalanche; they were on their way to Colby Pass with only microspikes and poles and it sounded dubious to me. I had crampons and definitely was glad for the axe on several of the passes, but even then, the later day snow might be too soft for the axe to do much good.
IMG_6059.jpg
Below Copper Mine Pass
IMG_6176.jpg
Longely Pass
Last edited by maverick on Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Subject updated
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Lamarck Col>Darwin Canyon>Snow Tongue>Humphrey's 6/6-6/11

Post by maverick »

Adam Salinger on SNCC-TPP wrote:
Looking up and Lamarck Col...Three tracks up...I liked the middle best..these were the last tracks I saw for 5 days. Saw not a single person from the time I left the campground to the time I got back to the campground. This was the last stable snow I walked on for the entire trip.

rlown
Topix Docent

Re: 2018 Backcountry Conditions Reports

Post by rlown »

Thanks. Helps a lot to figure out what 11k is like.
RiseToADry
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: 2018 Backcountry Conditions Reports

Post by RiseToADry »

Mav, you're a saint. Thanks for putting this together.