Valentine Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Valentine Lake

Post by robow8 »

So this year's Sierra trips have been whittled down to a Labor Day weekend trip to Valentine Lake. We will hike in on Saturday and out on Monday. That leaves Sunday for side trips, fishing, or???? What would you all suggest?

We've never been in that area, so what should we expect? Is there a bear box at the parking area to store smellables, or do we need to even worry about that?

And where do we want to eat on the way back home, down the 395?
John Harper
Topix Expert

Re: Valentine Lake

Post by John Harper »

I have not been to Valentine Lake, but have been to the Sherwin Lakes. The creek from Valentine to the Sherwins would probably offer some brook trout fishing, as would Valentine Lake. I do not recall any bear boxes at the Sherwin Lakes TH or the Valentine Lake TH, which is along Sherwin Creek Road, past the campground, and just past the Christian group camp (I forget the name) on the right of Sherwin Creek road as you go toward 395. I had excellent fishing off the big boulders in the upper Sherwin Lake the last time I was up there. Small gold Kastmasters and Fiord Jr. 1/8 oz were the hot ticket.

I would think fly/bubble rig in Valentine Lake would be a great choice if you have spin gear. No idea what the shore is like around Valentine for flycasting or maybe wet wading.

John
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

Thanks John!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

robow8 wrote:So this year's Sierra trips have been whittled down to a Labor Day weekend trip to Valentine Lake. We will hike in on Saturday and out on Monday. That leaves Sunday for side trips, fishing, or???? What would you all suggest?

We've never been in that area, so what should we expect? Is there a bear box at the parking area to store smellables, or do we need to even worry about that?

And where do we want to eat on the way back home, down the 395?
I have not been there but various data indicate numerous brookies there to medium size (top end in survey about 10-11" with an average size of about 8"). Now Valentine is a bit of a cul-de-sac in terms of getting to other places. The Sherwins are on the way in and out and they have medium sized brookies and rainbows.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

Thanks GB! If I use a bubble/fly setup, what flies would you recommend?