Catching big Kokanee in Central Oregon

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Catching big Kokanee in Central Oregon

Post by oldranger »

Have had one of my grandsons with me for the past 3 weeks. He has become a great first mate and we have been have a great time fishing together. Thursday was the pinnical of our fishing, landing 14 but keeping just those 16" and over, throwing back kokes that are keepers in any other lake. These fish really put on a show with lots of jumps, dives and and line pulling runs. Got to crank up the smoker this weekend!
IMG_2470.jpg
IMG_2471.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Catching big Kokanee in Central Oregon

Post by Vaca Russ »

WOW! Great times! I wish I was there.

Thanks for sharing those pictures.

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Awesome times spent with your grandson. What more could you want for a great fishing buddy.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
neil d
Topix Regular

Post by neil d »

Ain't never seen kokes that big...must have been a whole mess of fun. Well done!
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

neil d wrote:Ain't never seen kokes that big...must have been a whole mess of fun. Well done!
yep it is a special fishery. Usually really hard to fish. Getting to the fish often results in snags and lost tackle. But these fish are real rockets and landing a 20" always results in a sigh of relief and high 5s. I'd say that nowadays 10% of the anglers catch about 90% of the kokes and I think I'm right at the bottom of the 10%. But I've spent a lot of time learning the lake.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!