Maverick's 2018 Annual Meet-up 7/26-7/27

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Maverick's 2018 Annual Meet-up 7/26-7/27

Post by Gazelle »

Is the meetup on that side or the other side? As I may be 1st there (again) this may change how I go from Hopkins to Grinnell? Kathy (you should come?)I was just asking as I am going to be in Hopkins basin and wondered which lake may be prettier.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

Gazelle wrote:Is the meetup on that side or the other side? As I may be 1st there (again) this may change how I go from Hopkins to Grinnell? Kathy (you should come?)I was just asking as I am going to be in Hopkins basin and wondered which lake may be prettier.
Well, young lady, knowing you I can't really imagine you slumming it down in the lowlands around L Hopkins before going over Grinnell Hopkins.

I figure you'll be up on the ridge traversing Crocker to Red White before coming down some insane ledge. :rock:

PS Backstory: the first time I met Kristine, I was chilling by a small hanging lake before pushing on the 2nd meet-up location. She had just come down from Picket guard peak, and I was like whaaattt?

We then took off together for the meet-up spot around a mile away, in which she quickly left me in the dust. No racing/competition hiking, just effortless gliding over talus. Hence my reaction by saying something to the effect of "you're a fvckin' gazelle!" Thankfully, she waited up for me as we neared the lake. The first person we saw was Oleander doing her Lady Godiva thing swimming around the beautiful island lake.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Well I do plan on doing the whole ridge between them and Hopkins and Robber Baron peaks on Tuesday then to meetup spot for the night. Just decide in where to camp on Monday night? And not so young!
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I tried to read through but the posts but I got lost. Are you all meeting at Lower Hopkins Lake on July 26th?
26th and 27th at Grinnell Lake Kathy, Lake 10804.

Is the meetup on that side or the other side?
Anywhere along the western side of Lake 10804.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

With your meetup now a month away, took another look at snow conditions on the EOSDIS Worldview satellite. The best most recent visibility is on June 23. (Manually select/copy/paste the url HST forum sw mutilates):

https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov/?p ... 6375713718

Just like last year the snowiest of the Mono Recesses is the narrow south to north Laurel Creek canyon with its tall west/east walls. The less topo map savvy to correlate to the satellite ought refer to:

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.46206,-118.85132&z=13&t=T

The darker spots are usually lakes with Edison Reservoir obvious as well as shady forests of canyon bottoms. Duck, Purple, and Virginia are obvious to the north. Bathtub and Anne north of Edison. South of Mono Cr is Lower Mills Cr. Mott is fully melted out but Bighorn and Rosy Finch barely so. Hortense barely so and any of the upper southeast Fish Creek lakes not so much, still under partial snow. Quite obvious is all the snow still on shady aspects of the Silver Divide. Both Pioneer Basin and Hopkins canyons are obvious to the east of Laurel.

Grinnel and Red and White are obviously trying to melt out. At this point I can see I made the right call of not going back there again during the meetup period (will be in Humphreys) as will guess wildflowers and greenery might peak first or second week of August. Though that won't be of concern to most of you folks. Of more interest are those that have been planning to cross the Silver Divide from the north. Keep an eye on the above and consider the obvious direct Edison route as a fall back.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

I will have my ice axe and crampons with me as I am doing the hourglass up to Dae and Abbott, Mills. I personally like snow most of the time it makes the scree easier (usually). But thanks for the update!
Kristine
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Love the Sierra »

maverick wrote:
AT is coming via Edison Lake, no x-country passes involved. :)
Thanks Maverick. If I can get away from work, I will try to hook up with AT. However, 4th of July gives me more days off so I think that I will be taking that week off.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

Thanks Hobbes! Now I can figure it out.
Hobbes wrote:Wow, there's a blast from the past. I think the location is here:

https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php? ... &z=16&t=t4

I'm planning on going over Grinnell-Hopkins from lower Hopkins lake here:

Not sure if I'm going to traverse through Pioneer basin to go over Crocker Col here:

Or simply lollygag down the trail.

According to my calcs, either route has around 2k+- gain/loss. While Crocker is 5.3 miles to L Hopkins vs 7.4 via trail, it's x-c, so I figure the travel time might be the same.

Hobbes: Thank you! Now I can figure it out.

However, the issue I have is I don't want to hang out @ L Hopkins during the afternoon (tree hatred). I'd want to go over Crocker in the am, so it would screw up the rest of the day. If I hang and fish in Pioneer all day, then I can leave around 4, get to L Hopkins by 7, eat & crash.

Thursday morning I'd head to the meet-up location, drop my stuff @ Grinnell, and head over Bighorn to check out some more fishing @ Rosy Finch, etc.
Last edited by KathyW on Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

Gazelle wrote:I will have my ice axe and crampons with me as I am doing the hourglass up to Dae and Abbott, Mills. I personally like snow most of the time it makes the scree easier (usually). But thanks for the update!
Kristine
If the Hourglass Couloir is melted out, it will be an awful climb - very loose and steep under the snow.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

Thanks!
maverick wrote:
I tried to read through but the posts but I got lost. Are you all meeting at Lower Hopkins Lake on July 26th
?

26th and 27th at Grinnell Lake Kathy, Lake 10804.

Is the meetup on that side or the other side?
Anywhere along the western side of Lake 10804.