Sensors and Sunsability

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
edhyatt
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Sensors and Sunsability

Post by edhyatt »

Sensors and Sunsability

We stagger out into a place an Englishperson (gender neutral) should not….the Honister Slate Mine at 14.00 in the afternoon.

It’s a bit hot.

About 30C.

I am knackered after just changing shoes…my erstwhile companion is a lovely shade of puce.

Oh yes - great deeds of a voluminous and heroic nature were hatched in the air-conditioning…they transpire to a two mile stagger to a flop in the shade of boulders; big talk, small performance.

But really…it’s all about testing my new electronics anyway.…

It’s a bit hot.

I need my Fizan poles to climb the impending slope….

Such is the torpor that el (the minnow) posits the idea of camping at Wainwrights favourite hill; really, has it come to this?

Nearly.

Haystacks does look tempting…oh, so near…

Onward.

It’s a bit hot.

My BeFree water filter must be deployed.

A convenient bench at which to ponder the wisdom of ascending Kirk Fell….’probably no water’ is the veil of capitulation…

Complete capitulation.

We lounge….

Sheep sneer….

But there is time aplenty for the true purpose of the trip, assessing (playing with) my inReach Mini..

…and its synchroniciteee with my Garmin watch..

The tents cook gently in the late afternoon sun.

UV degradation Sir?

Time for a new one; that’ll do nicely.

Mine is a Tarptent from the USA…

Shadows steal into the Ennerdale valley, highlighting the drumlins.

El retains a sense of aloofness.

Thankfully heat abates somewhat as we are shadowed by the hills.

Around 21.00 and it is time to retire; the night warm enough to use the bag as a duvet and leave both sides of the tent open for any breeze…

A noisy animal somewhere breaks my reverie…..so I break my fast with a green tea, with coffee added halfway through drinking.

I use my Trail designs Ti cone and Vargo 700 BOT

Finally the mystery animal ceases its growling….

….and announces that we will ‘blast’ up Great Gable.

Well yes.

And no.

Tis a bit of a lactic acid special.

Summit views are very fine.

…ish

Amidst the scenic grandeur, heads are bowed in reverence; no wait, he’s texting…

I’m fast downhill and so no one see’s the flicker of remorse as I contemplate the quick climb of Green gable; I HATE this climb….the descent is even worse. Just is.

Gable in its munificence.

Up and down Brandreth before the plummet back to the mine. Downloading. Gloating over data. Metrics. Mmmm hmmmm.

One can resist a dip.

**** of the walk.

…and, as it is a Monday, our favourite Penrith café (The Narrowboat) is open….

The 'product placement' is a satirical dig at a friend from another forum :whistle:
Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Sensors and Sunsability

Post by Rockyroad »

I always enjoy your prose. This one is a zinger. "Amidst the scenic grandeur, heads are bowed in reverence; no wait, he’s texting…"
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

Sunrise at 4:32- wow!
edhyatt
Topix Regular

Post by edhyatt »

Yep.. It's a fine time of year.

Thanks, I like writing.
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

Ed, it looks like you've outdone yourself again with these incredible pictures! I keep looking at them thinking what beautiful weather you had on this trip. They are all amazing.

The picture of the steep rocky trail (second one) says it all - a very hot day. The views are splendid. What surprised me was the pond. From a distance, it looks very refreshing. I also would have considered a swim. However, upon closer inspection seeing all the mud, not so much. Thanks for sharing your latest adventure. :)
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Rockyroad wrote:I always enjoy your prose. This one is a zinger. "Amidst the scenic grandeur, heads are bowed in reverence; no wait, he’s texting…"
That was a great line! I was up near Vogelsang HSC and my buddies showed up. I told one of them I texted my wife that I'd be home in two days.
He said, "you can text?" Of course, he didn't have a working stove as well. :D He's fun..

Great TR as always!