6 person limit at Tuolumne campgrounds ?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kbarb
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

6 person limit at Tuolumne campgrounds ?

Post by kbarb »

I'm doing a little weekend car-camping jaunt with some friends in August, at the Tuolumne campground near the general store.

I never noticed before, but there's a six person limit for each campsite.
Do they actually check ? We could possibly be seven or even eight, but we're pretty much the quiet and respectful types.

Anyone know ? Would they make the seventh person drive home, or you get a spanking - or what ?

Thanks,

Kent
San Francisco
mkbgdns
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: 6 person limit at Tuolumne campgrounds ?

Post by mkbgdns »

should be fine as long as 1 or 2 of you stay locked in the trunk of 1 of your 2 cars.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Yes, they check. Two cars per site, six people. They'll tell you to park extras down the road at trailhead parking after unloading gear. Not sure what they do with the extra people, maybe give you another site (hahahahahahaha, extra open sites, hahahahahaha) or send them to the backpacker camp, feed them to the bears...
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yosemite NP:
People per site: A maximum of six people (including children) are allowed per campsite, except for the group site, which requires 13 to 30 people. There is no limit on the number of tents (as long as they all fit into the campsite).
https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tmcamp.htm
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
kbarb
Topix Novice

Post by kbarb »

@Maverick

Yes, the question is not what the rule is - that was stated in my post and the reason for it.
The question is, how strongly do they enforce it. You know, as long as you're not actually bothering anyone or causing trouble.
The parking I know about as well.

I really can't remember anyone coming by and counting heads. How would they know if a couple people are out for a walk, or just visiting ?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Well, like with a lot of rules, it all depends on the ranger on duty that day.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I've only ever camped there twice. The camp hosts came around several times, stopped to chat once or twice and looked things over. But we're boring and didn't do anything wrong, so they just told us to have a good time.
kbarb
Topix Novice

Post by kbarb »

I'm thinking of telling them if they ask . . . . those two people over there are actually one person with a very, very split personality.
Or maybe the trunk idea someone mentioned.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Kent, when I was very young I tried to do something like that in a Yosemite campground. Now this was a very very long time ago so it may not apply to today. The ranger caught on and grilled me and it was very uncomfortable. No, I didn't have to leave. However, I never did it again. But you wanted to know what might happen. Well, that's what happened to me.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

My experience is they are quite strict on the two cars thing, but not so much on the six people, for the simple reason that it's very easy to spot the third vehicle but takes some effort to count heads. if you have seven people and one or two vehicles you may slip by since at a quick glance seven people does not look much different. If you try to put ten people in there that's pretty obvious. Eight adults you are probably asking for it and the rangers would be entirely within their rights to ask two people to leave. In August it is unlikely there will be a free site for them to move to. Lat time I was there with a more than four person group we got two sites and it was great to have two "kitchens" going at dinner time. If you can get two reservations, I would do that. If you end up a group of six you will be able to make someone very happy by releasing the second site to a first-come first serve camper.