PCT 24 hr Challenge

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: PCT 24 hr Challenge

Post by The Other Tom »

I follow this Vlog:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQhqmV ... hzqJz4VFcw
She did 62 miles on a 24 hr PCT challenge. I thought that was a lot, but 73 is unreal.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Hobbes writes:
Happy people tend to be social, as well as support and offer encouragement to others. Those who are sad appear to think inward, to focus on the self. There's really no right or wrong, but it's incumbent to be sufficiently aware enough to stick to one's own tribe.

Hi Karl. I'm glad you slipped the words "tend to be" in there. I tend to be happiest alone in nature, and more and more, I choose Sierran nature in the snowy seasons, when I am assured that I will be communing mainly with myraid forms of wildlife, and not humans. Am I anti-social, or have I become sufficiently aware that the wild things are my tribe?

A beautiful poem by Wendell Berry touches on this sentiment- it hangs on the wall by our window:
When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.
DSCN1228.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I don't think where one is "happiest" applies. On the continuum of happy/sad (positive vs negative outlook on life), what is one's mode, I believe, is more appropriate. And, of course, anti-social is different from finding oneself increasingly leaning toward moments of solitude rather than social.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Although I personally have never had any interest in endurance and speed challenges, I can understand how it appeals to some people. Certainly more interesting for participants than running ultra-marathons along roads. As long as it does not impact others, fine. Other outdoor sports have enthusiasts doing similar extremes activities. Recently news of those speed climbing El Capitan. Anyone can respect and marvel at what such human athletes accomplish though for the most part the reaction by most others is ...yawn. In other words if most of us see such media news we won't even bother to open up the news link because it is about like a link to some sport championship news one has no interest in. Those that are active in such challenge sports are their audience. Decades ago such challenges as marathons were more of news interest to the rest of us but in this era of information overload it is just a yawn just like another Guiness novelty feat.

Same thing with those today on trails focused on completing long distance trails. I respect such accomplishments but not of interest to this person nor do I see it as something for experienced outdoor enthusiasts worth doing versus reasons the rest of us have for going out into the backcountry. As a winter snow skier I have the same reaction to yoyo skiers monotonously all winter focused on totaling up maximum vertical feet skied. They wonder why on skiing boards the rest of us while respecting their feats, have no interest and would argue doing such if a habit is misplaced. Way more worthwhile goals like fun and enjoyment, for skiing down snow. As a backpacker and hiker I usually will read the summitpost challenge thread for Bob Burds annual summer peak bagging Sierra Challenge, something I can relate to more:

http://snwburd.com/bob/challenge/2017/
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Jimr wrote:
"I don't think where one is "happiest" applies. On the continuum of happy/sad (positive vs negative outlook on life), what is one's mode, I believe, is more appropriate.
And, of course, anti-social is different from finding oneself increasingly leaning toward moments of solitude rather than social.
"*¹

The point I am trying to make is that one certainly doesn't need to be so engaged with, nor even particularly sympathetic towards humanity to be happy. Turning away from the human world as I age has for me, also been a deeply satisfying turning toward the natural world- "the peace of wild things," as Berry says.

We may be dinged for straying off topic, though my point of view lends itself to my feeling that I would much prefer people to come into the parks to commune with nature, and not to use it as a racetrack. However, I see that I am open to the charge of hypocrisy- when I "used" the mountains for geared-up climbing, I was not really communing with nature, but adventuring with my friends. Karl does propose the idea that people can change their emphasis over time, and just like I now come to the Sierra mostly to gaze around at the views and the wildlife, so the trail runners may later return to the Sierra for other reasons. The other good point is that for the most part, advocates are advocates, and a help to the conservation of the Sierra Nevada, regardless of their purposes.

*¹ Unless, of course, one is running away from the social. :)
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

"The point I am trying to make is that one certainly doesn't need to be so engaged with, nor even particularly sympathetic towards humanity to be happy."

I completely agree.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.