I find stuff

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
bluefintu
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

I find stuff

Post by bluefintu »

I find all kinds of stuff on and off trail. The things I find are mostly, "trash", but, my Son and I find/found some valuable things. Such as, a camera, a watch and many sunglasses, that were returned to the owner, except for one pair of glasses that we found at the trailhead.(I called and left messages from the sunglass case) I find things that are considered mine, empty beer cans/ bottles, wine bottles, cigarette butts, used tissue, buried wet wipes, just trash, etc... Sometimes, I do find things that maybe personal property that is of value and I will do my best to find the owner. So, if you were at Muriel Lake out of Piute Pass Trailhead, my friend found two things of value and we like to return it. Let me know ,what , where and when and it's yours.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: I find stuff

Post by bobby49 »

Recently I went west over Piute Pass and down the canyon. Suddenly I realized that I had stupidly left my good camera somewhere along the trail, so I left my pack and went dashing back up the hill looking for it. After two miles, I had found nothing, so sadly I returned to my pack and continued my trip. I got home several days later and reported the lost item to the forest service offices in both Bishop and Prather. Two days later, there was a small package mailed from Kansas ( ? ) and I received it. It was the lost camera. I sent a reward check back to the sender.

I usually find stuff in the places where I camp, usually small change. For a while, my average take was 37 cents per trip.
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Post by astrogerly »

@bobby49 - thanks for mentioning contacting the Forest Service. I need to do that regarding our lost sleeping pad. I'm still holding onto a tiny bit of hope that maybe someone found it and turned it in somewhere...
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Post by astrogerly »

@bluefintu - just sent you a PM. I think my husband just realized he left another item, which might be something you found. :(
bluefintu
Topix Regular

Post by bluefintu »

Hi astrogerly,

Yes I found a brand new Jet Boil !!! At your campsite and will return it ASAP. Give me your address and I'll send it next week.
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Post by astrogerly »

Hey bluefintu!

Just sent you a PM! Thank you so much! We're both shocked we didn't notice it missing until now, but I guess that's what happens when you havent been backpacking as much as normal this summer.

-Tiff
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Kudos bluefintu for the find and return!
astrogerly, amazing to leave a stove. I guess it happens, as i found stuff not meant to be left (fishing lures in their container twice by the same person I was backpacking with; A couple of rafts in a rubbermaid stash; A nice knife or two which i found while searching for a lost tent stake. Trade-offs are funny.

I now have an packing order and a place in my pack for everything. Allows me to find stuff in complete darkness.

Glad you got your stove back!
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Rain fly at Lower Young Lakes, just spread out on a rock drying. We checked with all the local campers, and then
turned it in to the rangers at TM. Fully packed tent halfway up the Snow Creek switchbacks...left it there assuming it belonged to rock climbers who were coming back for it. Three sweatshirts in various locations, all packed out. Our current cook pot, left dirty in a fire ring in the Hoover Wilderness...we cleaned it up and still use it. A Boy Scout pocketknife near Yellowhammer Lake with a troop number and name on it. We tracked down the owner and returned it about five years after it was lost.

Two different bags of tent stakes, one by Evelyn Lake out of Mineral King, one at Echo Lake in Yosemite.

Three different toiletries bags found in various campsites, and recycled. Too many mylar balloons to count, all packed out. Same with energy bars wrappers.

One pair of reading glasses way off trail below Ediza Lake...rusted but still functional.

Two pairs of hiking boots, one in the depths of Cherry Canyon, the other below Crown Lake. We left those, mainly because they were too damned heavy to carry.

And one ugly mess of a food bag above Lower Indian Lake that was so destroyed by animals that we left it. Sigh. I still regret that because it was such and ugly scene in that beautiful area...but we just couldn't face the clean up...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Post by astrogerly »

@rlown - we thought we had it as I thought I remember seeing it at home after the fact, but we tore our place apart last night and couldn't find it. We haven't been backpacking every weekend like we normally do, so just now noticed it sadly. :( First time we ever left anything behind - and we even looked around the site and didn't see it (blaming the heinous skeeters). I guess there is a first time for everything... :( My husband is beating himself up over it.

Super glad bluefintu found it! Our main plans for this weekend were axed with the slide on 168 - which opens tonight, but too late for us to do Evo in two days.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

heck, sometimes I can't find everything in the garage. :derp: I have 3 kits (rubbermaid tubs.) One is backpacking, one is abalone diving, and one is fishing gear. I throw everything on the dining room table for a trip, and do the same when I get home when I empty the pack. Maybe a little OCD but I like to know where my stuff is... :)