Summer in Wyoming coming up

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Summer in Wyoming coming up

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Some photos from Trip 2
IMG_8648_50%.jpg
IMG_8662_60.jpg
IMG_8711_50%.jpg
IMG_8739_60%.jpg
IMG_8755_60%.jpg
IMG_8793_60%.jpg
IMG_8817_60%.jpg
IMG_8838_60%.jpg
IMG_8858_60%.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Just gorgeous photos. Thank you so much for posting. We're planning a trip there next summer. Cain't hardly wait!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I am leaving tomorrow for Trip 3, a point-to-point route from two west-side trailheads. Good weather forecast, so far. A little bit of haze unfortunately from the California fires. Smoke always seems to follow me around a campfire; guess it has decided to follow me all the way from California! But nothing like what you all are dealing with. This trip is 9 days, but am looking forward to have a bit of company this time. I have not seen this old friend who is joining me for 10 years so we will have a lot to talk about. I will post a few photos when I get out.
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

Thanks for the report and photos! I hope to visit the Winds myself some day -- for now, living vicariously through yours and others' reports will have to suffice.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Easy to see why you go there every summer. Just beautiful!
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
jdille
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by jdille »

Looks beautiful. Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Back from trip 3. Will post more later. No WiFi here so can not post photos. Taking a 4 day break fishing near Pinedale.
edhyatt
Topix Regular

Post by edhyatt »

Looks amazing.

I'd say awesome...but cannot bring myself too.

After this I have to go back in the next couple of years; thanks for the pictures and descriptions.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Got out yesterday afternoon from my last trip. Did the last trip solo since the wife of the fellow going with me had some medical problems. My 98-year old Mom ended up in the hospital, but urged me to still do my trip (she is back in her assisted living unit and doing well). This last trip was a bit jinxed. Day 1 I lost my camera in a 1.5-mile deadfall maze (took me 3 hours to go 1 mile). With little chance of finding it, and worried about a delay to get over the Divide to my car parked on the east side, I continued. Did not miss many photo opportunities, as there was hazy smoke. Third day I fell forward and slid down a rock, "road rashed" and broke my glasses, one lens totally lost. Good thing I know the area well since I could not read my map. Damage to me was limited to a few bruises, a black eye and a headache for half a day. I did take my cell phone, so was able to get photos. Weather turned very unstable, but I got over the Divide. At Downs Lake, fog rolled in so I decided to bail to the Glacier Trail, since I have been turned around on Goat Flat in good weather, let alone thick fog. Weather ranged from cold, high winds with horizontal grapple that felt like a sand blast, foggy like the coast, very unusual rolling UP the valleys, thunder storms, constant moisture from dew even when it did not rain, and the occasional sunshine. tired of afternoons in the tent, I went out two days early. Weather here is still unsettled. Smoke from western fires have reached Lander. Tomorrow I drive to Spokane WA to be with my Mom.

I will be home in a couple of weeks and start doing trip reports and processing hundreds of photos. I would call this summer a mixed-success summer. Not as well done as planned, but not that bad either.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Congratulations WD. Sounds like you made it through some challenging conditions. We've really enjoyed your photos so far, and are looking forward to your trip reports.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.