17E10 in Desolation Wilderness (from Glen Alpine up towards Triangle Lake)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mangomegan
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

17E10 in Desolation Wilderness (from Glen Alpine up towards Triangle Lake)

Post by mangomegan »

I’m trying to find any info I can about an unmaintained trail. It goes from up near Lake of the Woods down to the Glen Alpine TH.

The family and I are planning to make a loop: from Glen Alpine to Gilmore Lake, over to Aloha, then to Triangle Lake, returning via 17E10.

I’m a bit concerned that it may be too steep and sketchy fir our kids, though they do have backpacking experience. However, the routes they’ve done have been relatively mellow.

The rangers in the area don’t seem to know much about this trail. I’m hoping someone here might chime in!

We plan to head out tomorrow...last-minute advice, I know.
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 17E10 in Desolation Wilderness (from Glen Alpine up towards Triangle Lake)

Post by windknot »

I did this exact route in 2016 and didn't find the trail from Triangle to Glen Alpine to be incredibly sketchy, though it is steep to be sure and parts can be slippery especially earlier in the season. Going down is of course easier than going up, but also appears to be sketchier from the perspective of the hiker. I don't recall anything that I considered would have been scary to a beginning hiker, but there are a few sections where I found it useful to hold onto overhanging brush/rocks to aid in my descent.
mangomegan
Topix Acquainted

Post by mangomegan »

Great—thanks.

I’m surprised to hear it was not a big deal. Any info I’ve found says the trail is sketchy and only for extremely experienced backpackers!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

There isn't anything really hairy about this trail. It is steep, but there isn't slip and fall risk as there is with the notorious Horsetail Falls "trail" from 50. There is a steep "brush tunnel" near top that tends to be a bit wet even in the fall, but the brush doesn't really get in the way, nor is there enough water to be hazardous.

The Gilmore direct trail (if that is going to be part of the loop) is similarly tame but beautifully scenic, although there is one narrow ledge traverse with a bit of exposure (15' dropoff beneath it into a steep gully). The holds are very good for the step-across though.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Tom_H »