Trip Plan Advice

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Trip Plan Advice

Post by oldhikerQ »

In a short while, i will be freed from the bonds that require me to work full time. To celebrate, i am planning on following Mr. Muir's advice and spending (most of) a summer in the Sierra. My current plan is to stitch together 7 nominal one-week trips as follows:
Twin Lakes (Mono Village) - Virginia Lakes
Virginia Lakes - Tuolumne Meadows
Tuolumne Meadows - Agnew Meadows
Mammoth Loop (Ashley, Fern, Beck Lakes, etc)
Red's Meadow - Rock Creek
Rock Creek - North Lake
North Lake - South Lake
The plan also includes one or two days out between each leg to resupply/shower/wash clothes, etc. i realize that these are not week long trips by many of this group's standards, but since i will be pushing 70 when this occurs, i will be taking a much more leisurely walk.

My question is would you apply for just a single permit (Twin lakes to South Lake) or apply for the 7 individual permits? I'm concerned with getting the permits over Donohue Pass as well as the final segment.
Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.
Cheers
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip Plan Advice

Post by John Harper »

I'd go for a single permit, and pad some extra days onto it to account for unexpected events.

John
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

In a short while, i will be freed from the bonds that require me to work full time. To celebrate, i am planning on following Mr. Muir's advice and spending (most of) a summer in the Sierra. My current plan is to stitch together 7 nominal one-week trips as follows:
Twin Lakes (Mono Village) - Virginia Lakes
Virginia Lakes - Tuolumne Meadows
Tuolumne Meadows - Agnew Meadows
Mammoth Loop (Ashley, Fern, Beck Lakes, etc)
Red's Meadow - Rock Creek
Rock Creek - North Lake
North Lake - South Lake
The plan also includes one or two days out between each leg to resupply/shower/wash clothes, etc. i realize that these are not week long trips by many of this group's standards, but since i will be pushing 70 when this occurs, i will be taking a much more leisurely walk.
You did not indicate when you would like to embark on trips?
Just so you know, the Lions Fire has closed Fern and Beck Lakes Trails. Smoke is bad in a lot of those areas.
Keep an eye on the fire reports: http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... &start=190
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular

Post by oldhikerQ »

Mav-
Thanks for the link; i'll keep an eye on it. i'm looking a couple of years into the future for my sierra summer.
Here's hoping that everything is well under control by mid August.
As for this year, we're set for a trip up rush creek to lakes off the JMT as well as 1000 island the second week of September.
Robert Frost
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

For your planned Sierra summer, I think you will find that the Park and Forest Services will only issue a single permit for a continuous trip in the wilderness. If you are going to exit back to civilization for a day or two and then re-enter, you will need a separate permit for each such entry.

Also, you don't need to use the John Muir Trail (with its exit quota on Donohue Pass) to get from Tuolumne Meadows to Agnew Meadows. Use the Parker Pass/Koip Peak Pass route - it's more dramatic, anyway.

-Phil
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular

Post by oldhikerQ »

Thanks for the idea Phil. That route was on my radar a while ago, but escaped the list.
Robert Frost
franklin411
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by franklin411 »

At least for Inyo, you can exit the wilderness for up to 24 hours and reenter as long as you do so from your exit point.
Crossing Park Boundaries

Your wilderness permit must be issued via Inyo National Forest if your trip starts from Inyo National Forest, even if the first night of your trip will be spent in an adjacent national park or forest.

One permit is valid for the duration of a trip, including traveling through adjacent parks and forests.
If you exit the wilderness in Inyo National Forest for more than 24 hours or re-enter at a different location, a new permit is required for the new entry location.
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular

Post by oldhikerQ »

Thanks for the information franklin411.
Since i will (hopefully) be having a companion, or companions, on each leg of the trip, and their number may change, it seems like separate permits will be the way to go.
Robert Frost