TR: Mount Brewer and Beyond, Aug 30 - Sept 4, 2018

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
BigMan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: Mount Brewer and Beyond, Aug 30 - Sept 4, 2018

Post by BigMan »

Thanks for a very enjoyable report.
Flamingo wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:50 pmI continued down and encountered people for the first time in three days. A small group was camped on the north shore of East Lake, hidden in the trees.
Hee hee. That was me (and a couple of neighbors) enjoying an easy day. I broke camp at 2:30pm and hiked up to Lake Reflection, where I camped (in solitude) that night. Honored to be the first person you saw after 3 days. :)
Flamingo wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:50 pm...tiny black flies danced in my face and taunted me as I climbed.
They followed you, too? :)

At times it seemed there were about 25 of them in front of my face. I had to go into a deep Zen practice just to stay sane. Funny, when I stopped moving, they went away. I had to remind myself not to be mad at bugs for being bugs.
In wilderness lies the hope of the world.
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

This has definitely been a Longley Pass year! :)

And a very gourmet trip report. Some cooking samples:
On my stove, I steamed bell pepper slices, tuna, and then boiled moroheiya noodles with red chili flakes and a splash of olive oil.

I ate a lunch: pita bread, sliced egg, apple, and two mandarins.

...prepared a delicious dinner of lentil beans, steamed broccoli, and fried purple onions.

I rested and ate the last piece of fresh fruit in my bag: a giant fuzzy peach, probably one pound in size. It tasted like heaven.
I couldn’t help but envision one of your sentences in jest: As backcountry chefs have said before, the smell and taste of seasonal and organic food is scrumptious.

Bon Appetit! :yummy:

P.S. The picture of your tent beneath Mount Brewer's east face is divine.
LonePine
Topix Acquainted

Post by LonePine »

Flamingo, really enjoyed your report and pictures. Thanks for sharing!
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Flamingo »

@BigMan -- Nice. Your campsite looked awesome. HST needs an arm band, flag, or secret bird call to indicate we're members in the wild.

@rightstar76 -- haha, yes it was a very culinary backpacking trip for me. I'm glad you enjoyed the TR.
Last edited by Flamingo on Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Flamingo,
Dang, I'm envious of the relative ease you had getting up to Sphinx basin. I hope I made enough bad decisions going down that route in June to last for 5 years. Or, maybe it was just payback for the preceding 5 years? But, the real clincher was the melt out on Longley. Relative to the pile earlier, that was barely enough to chill a cocktail! Thanks for the entertaining report! Cameron
BigMan
Topix Regular

Post by BigMan »

I'm inspired by your willingness to carry heavy, "real" food. I may have to try this.

During my last two trips I've suffered from IBS after about 7 days. I can't eat much of anything without stomach irritation. And most of my calories come from re-hydrated grains, beans, veggies, and pasta. I think my body is just done with backpacking food after 7 days. That, combined with the altitude. And being 46 years old.

When I get off the trail, I eat a huge cheeseburger, chili cheese fries, a Coke, and ice cream... and my tummy feels great. :)
BigMan
Topix Regular

Post by BigMan »

Flamingo wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:13 pm @BigMan -- Nice. Your campsite looked divine. HST needs an arm band, flag, or secret bird call to indicate we're members in the wild.
:)

A few tidbits:

Did you see a tent set up at "the point" at Lake Reflection? I met a climbing duo when I arrived there. They were just returning from a summit of Thunder Mtn. It was 5:30pm and they said they were leaving to hike 10 miles to set up for their next climb.

On the trail from East Lake to Lake Reflection I also met a solo backpacker coming down from Milly's Foot Pass. He said it was "awful" and he'll "never do it again."

Two days earlier I overheard one experienced climber telling another climber about a recent trip. He said "we summited Stanford, then we thought about summiting Ericsson, but we looked up at Harrison Pass and said 'no f-ing way.'"

Experienced mountain climbers saying "no f-ing way" to Harrison Pass. :lol:
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

What a really fine solo trip Flamingo! You pulled it off with guts and style. All the best, Harlen.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
bbayley80
Topix Regular

Post by bbayley80 »

awesome report! gorgeous gorgeous! I've had this same loop on my radar for a few years and for whatever reason I've always had something bump it from the calendar. thanks for sharing and inspire me to make 2019 the year for it for sure
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

Wonderful report!

I did this route in reverse a week or two before you. Your descriptions are bang-on. Such as the byzantine-ness of the south side of Cinder Col (although, no big deal, and actually fun, huh?). I did stay at a lovely campsite at the outlet of South Guard Lake, and the alpenglow was every bit as nice as you might expect :) Between Brewer Basin and Cinder Col, I saw 6 (!) dippers (water ouzels), in 3 different groupings - which is maybe why there is a nearby stream called Ouzel Creek, draining the other side of Brewer.

Like cgunderson, I missed your Magic Route through the lower half of the Sphinx watershed, and yes I was always investigating the western wall for a good way. Below Lake #1, most of the choices appeared to be, Beat through the nasty willow in the valley floor; or hop endless talus along the canyon sides (and there were streams of willow stretching up there too). And just for fun, let's throw in a lot of massive downed logs. Unless I can be sure of finding Flamingo's Magic Route, I never want to do the Sphinx again. (Whiny baby here where willow is concerned.)

You missed out by not ever staying at Reflection.

Do you bring a pan to fry the veggies in? Maybe your pot comes with a lid that doubles as a fryer? I usually dehydrate veggies such as garlic, broccoli, onions, kale, and peppers, and sprinkle some in every meal. But I'd like to experiment with the fresh stuff :)

- Oleander