2 Visitors Fall From Taft Point

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

2 Visitors Fall From Taft Point

Post by maverick »

Yosemite NP:
A male and female visitor died in an apparent fall from Taft Point in Yosemite National Park. Yosemite National Park Rangers are recovering the bodies this morning.

This incident is under investigation and no further details are available. No photos or videos are available. The identification of the deceased has not yet been determined.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Re: 2 Visitors Fall From Taft Point

Post by bobby49 »

Many of us have done photography at Taft Point. In my view, nobody would fall from there unless they were drunk or something. Murder/Suicide is another possibility.

If you move east off Taft Point, there is an extremely steep gully, so that is kind of a dangerous spot. Then if you move east from the gully, you can get a better angle back toward Taft Point. At the last time that I was there, I was on skis shooting that.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

They were probably daredevils trying to get an Instagram shot.

https://nypost.com/2018/10/30/travel-da ... ff-plunge/
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

They were taking selfies.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

"Moorthy wrote along with a photo of herself at the Grand Canyon. 'A lot of us including yours truly is a fan of daredevilry attempts of standing at the edge of cliffs and skyscrapers, but did you know that wind gusts can be FATAL???'”
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I read in the paper this morning that they were not taking the standard hand-held selfie, but had a tripod set up and then stepped out onto the ledge. In fact other tourists were there and thought their actions were scary.
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

These are the second and third recent deaths by selfie in YNP. It's tragic, but I still feel that we have to take issue with their flagrant disregard for consequences, if not for themselves, for the YOSAR team that had to recover bodies that were in such bad shape that they couldn't even be shipped home for burial. I hate to be callous, but really, if you want to make a big impact on your "friends" and "followers", give them a nice shot of someone's face as they scoop a pile of bloody tissue that used to be you into a bag. I don't understand why some people don't get that the edges of cliffs and waterfalls are no place for dropping your guard or reckless games. Not one bit of the whole thing is right.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I wonder if their phone went off and got a picture..
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I fear we have raised a generation of people who due to too much time on screens, do not know how to function in a 3-dimensional world. The couple obviously did not think they were acting in a risky manner. Social media makes this even worse, by "normalizing" risky behavior. Having done a lot of hiking in Yosemite I often see people hiking in absolutely inappropriate foot wear- flip-flops, ballet slippers, heels which make it easy to slip or trip or unable to plant feet solidly if a wind comes up. The walk into Taft Point is quite short, so you see all sorts of people, clueless kids, bad footwear, selfie-obsessed, etc. I really do not see how to prevent this. I do hope the Park Service does not over-react and put up more fences or rails or close trails. Nevertheless, I feel for the family. Nobody wants to loose their loved ones.