Snowshoeing Dewey Point to/from Glacier Point?

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Snowshoeing Dewey Point to/from Glacier Point?

Post by AlmostThere »

It's up to you, but walking for hours with a wider stance than usual, with big swinging objects on your feet, is more tiring than without. I generally have planned fewer miles for the same hours and never gotten to the destination early.

The snow has been alternately rained and snowed on, and the last few times I have been up (we are helping maintain sno parks on 168 and going on snow patrols) the lack of deep powder and the rutted crusty snow has been h@!@ on my separated shoulder, trying to keep the snowmobile on the road - things have been pretty crunchy. But there is more weather in the forecast. When we went to Badger early in January there was not so much snow and lots of people without snowshoes postholing in the road. Walking through the meadows exploring was not much different due to the quality of the snow. A couple of weekends conditions have been perfect -- but it's the unsettled weather that's making it all variable. So adaptability and backup plans are a good idea... happily you can always melt snow for water and change your plans based on how your folks are doing, even if you stick to plan until you are there and see how it is.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

My thoughts are that if you haven't done winter snow backpacking on snowshoes before, you should plan a conservative route with potential for extension rather than committing to the big loop right at the start. The biggest bang for the buck in that area, in my opinion, is Dewey Point. Assuming good weather (and if there is a big storm I would call off the whole thing) I would head to Dewey Point first, hang around for a while to enjoy the view, and then continue east toward Bridalveil Creek as far as I was comfortable to camp. If everything is going really well, then the rest of your loop seems reasonable, out to Taft Point and Sentinel Dome, and then return on the road. If not, you can bail heading south to McGurk Meadow and then the road back. By the way, I personally would skip Glacier Point and only go as far east as Sentinel Dome. Sentinel Dome has a great view. Going down to Glacier Point means climbing back up 600 feet of lost elevation.

-Phil
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

wildhiker wrote:
By the way, I personally would skip Glacier Point and only go as far east as Sentinel Dome. Sentinel Dome has a great view. Going down to Glacier Point means climbing back up 600 feet of lost elevation.
X2!
Phil makes an excellent point here. Unless you are dead keen ( :derp: ) on a shot of yourself balanced on one of the Glacier Point pinnacles, I think the view from Washburn Point is nearly equal, and the top of Sentinel Dome has the finest view of all. We've seen folks happily camping off the trail by Washburn Point. Have fun!
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.