Daydreaming of High Sierra from Fresno State

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Daydreaming of High Sierra from Fresno State

Post by giantbrookie »

Whereas some folks in the Topix community visit the High Sierra during the winter, I am one of many who only daydreams of the upcoming "season". Occasionally the views of the range from my workplace are amazing and it really gets the itch going. The two attached photos were taken at about 415 pm from one of the big parking lots on the Fresno State campus
1707McGeemaybeandGoddard.jpg
1709Mordor.jpg
Best wishes for the the upcoming season. In the meantime I'll be off to Mt Diablo to do more "offseason" hiking, perhaps with a bit of snow coming down tomorrow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Re: Daydreaming of High Sierra from Fresno State

Post by rightstar76 »

It's amazing the clarity of the zoom function on these new cameras. Look at all that snow.
RichardCullip
Topix Regular

Post by RichardCullip »

A remarkably clear winter day in the Central Valley! Thanks for the picture.
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

I don't think of Fresno promoting its proximity to the mountains, despite being super close to both Yosemite & Sequoia. The eastern sierra does a lot more promoting tourism.

But that's an epic picture from the parking lot.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Stanley Otter
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Stanley Otter »

Very nice. Hope your semester is going well. Just finishing our first week here -- woo-hoo!
Roaring in my ears,
the mountain temple's silence.
Nobody else here!
-- Edith Schiffert
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sekihiker »

The mountains have been spectacular during January and February. We're still a little bit behind normal for rainfall in Fresno but the nearby snow pack looks great.
tlsharb
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by tlsharb »

Amazing. I grew up in Hanford and don't ever remember seeing Goddard and the Kaweahs. Can't wait to get back there in August
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by TehipiteTom »

Beautiful.

I remember staying in Visalia on a business trip back in February 1998, and during a break in the endless rains we got the most amazing view of the Great Western Divide. Doesn't happen often, but when it does it's really something special.
lambertiana
Topix Regular

Post by lambertiana »

I live in Visalia and the Kaweahs are a lot closer to me. Plus I get good views of the southern end of the Great Western Divide. If I go out on the street in front of my house and look east, I am looking straight at Sawtooth. There is a lot of snow up there right now; the latest snow sensor report (Feb 7) shows the southern Sierra with about 100% of April 1 average. And more snow arrived last night, with more forecast tonight and again later in the coming week.
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

lambertiana wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:33 pm I live in Visalia and the Kaweahs are a lot closer to me. Plus I get good views of the southern end of the Great Western Divide. If I go out on the street in front of my house and look east, I am looking straight at Sawtooth. There is a lot of snow up there right now; the latest snow sensor report (Feb 7) shows the southern Sierra with about 100% of April 1 average. And more snow arrived last night, with more forecast tonight and again later in the coming week.
Yes, the Kaweahs and southern GWD are much closer to you. Below is Sawtooth taken on the same day (Thursday) as above.
1703sawtoothcenter.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;