Daydreaming of High Sierra from Fresno State

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
robertseeburger
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Daydreaming of High Sierra from Fresno State

Post by robertseeburger »

What a great set of shots! I had no idea that you could actually see Mount Goddard from that far west!!
lambertiana
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by lambertiana »

giantbrookie wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:19 am
lambertiana wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:33 pm I live in Visalia and the Kaweahs are a lot closer to me. Plus I get good views of the southern end of the Great Western Divide. If I go out on the street in front of my house and look east, I am looking straight at Sawtooth. There is a lot of snow up there right now; the latest snow sensor report (Feb 7) shows the southern Sierra with about 100% of April 1 average. And more snow arrived last night, with more forecast tonight and again later in the coming week.
Yes, the Kaweahs and southern GWD are much closer to you. Below is Sawtooth taken on the same day (Thursday) as above.
1703sawtoothcenter.jpg
Are you sure that's Sawtooth? It looks like Lippincott to me. Empire Mountain would be in front of and right of Sawtooth from your angle, and the lower slopes of Sawtooth on the right (which are above Monarch Lakes) are not wooded, but your picture shows trees there. Mount Eisen would be on the left of Sawtooth with Black Rock Pass between them. The much darker Mineral Peak would be on the right side of the picture if it were Sawtooth. And the north end of the Sawtooth summit ridge is noticeably higher than Sawtooth Pass, but that is not seen in your picture. I think it's Lippincott.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Hmmm, I think you're right. I was checking the other photos the link to the south and north and the peaks on both sides match those flanking Lippincott. I'm pretty sure the progression northward works all the way to Eagle Scout Pk and progression south works to Mt Eisen. What I thought was Florence in fact is probably Sawtooth. The obliquity of the view is pretty tricky.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
limpingcrab
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by limpingcrab »

I do the same thing on my drive home from Fresno City along the 180 every day, the view's been great this week! I grew up in Visalia, and although I like the view from the Sanger area, Visalia has the best mountain view on the west side. I miss it when we get those distant views to the Kaweahs.

Do you ever fish the Lower Kings during the winter to get your trout catching fix? I live along the river out there and do often so I'm wondering if we've crossed paths.
bbayley80
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bbayley80 »

Giant Brookie.
great shots! I think I was driving into work at REI in Riverpark that afternoon-and the view from the 41 was amazing as I drove along..mostly watching the road :0 and thanks for naming some of the peaks, I was just saying this morning I was going to google 'Sierra peaks viewed from Fresno' to better know what I was looking at
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

If intending to drive SR198 into Sequoia NP, from SR99 on clear days, I will take SR201 aka Avenue 384 that goes through Woodlake as it seems to have best perspectives of Southern Sierra peaks.

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=36.4566 ... z=12&b=map