TR: KCHBR- Kings Canyon High Basin Route, 2018

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
commonloon
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: KCHBR- Kings Canyon High Basin Route, 2018

Post by commonloon »

Cameron - Yes, same on bumping into you. I did spend some time on bits of or close to the KCHBR this year; climbed Ericsson via Joe's foot pass (lake Reflection) and been thinking about doing at least the southerly section. Your TR has renewed my interest. Thanks!
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Wow Cameron, such an amazing trip report.

Last night before heading off to bed I logged onto HST to see what's new, and found your post. Soon I was looking at the full TR, needless to say I was up really late. I really felt immersed in the Sierra and nearly mesmerized by your photos. I've been shackled with life's obligations in recent years and haven't been in the mountains for too long, thanks so much for bringing me back.

Shawn

PS. So glad your injury wasn't worse.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Amazing trips. I enjoyed following your summer journey. Thanks for sharing.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Rockyroad »

Cameron, thanks for taking us on your amazing journey. Your photos are incredible. I ended up reading a few of your other trip reports!
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

Excellent and beautiful report! Truly the kind of trip I'd want to be going on.

King Col sure is a piece of work isn't it? It's the only pass that Rogue has not only routinely said he thought he would die on when he did it but also the only one that I've heard him absolutely say he'll never go on. I think I'll be avoiding that one especially given your photos which as I've been told by Rogue.. yes it really is that steep!
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Speaking on King Col. I've thought about it a couple of times, but then I go and read Rogue's description and I'm not all that interested. I was looking at the topo of the area. There seems to be a "Notch" 1 drainage west from King's Col that might be better. Has anyone tried that?

Has anyone tried King Col full of snow? Obviously, crampons and ice axe territory. I guess the real question is, has anyone seen it, does it typically have a cornice.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

King Col did seem a bit steeper and certainly much longer than comparable passes. I was able to hold onto the rocks on the left side going down, so while it is a big pain and very slow going, I never really felt in danger. When I look at the photo taken at the top now, I am surprised that I was not more concerned while doing it, it does indeed look pretty freaky. Nevertheless, Snow Tongue is still at the top of my list of terrible passes for its combination salad of very loose dirt and very sizeable loose rocks that I found unnerving.

@ commonloon. I am also interested to learn if anyone has attempted the two notches to the west, and this issue has come up in these forums before. Skurka mentions them alternates and has them labelled on his map as "King Col Central" and "King Col West". I don't know if those names are his inventions nor if he has actually attempted them.

For what it is worth, the Google Earth view shows the notch to the west as smaller and less steep than King Col, but there are a lot of shadows towards the base that suggest rock overhangs. They could be impassable, or very simple to climb.
next to king col.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.