Yes 2019 is now a BIG winter

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Yes 2019 is now a BIG winter

Post by SSSdave »

Today is February 19, 2019. After 3 series of large cold multi day systems, the Sierra Nevada snowpack is now over 150% of average for this date. And at lower mid forest elevations it is more above normal as the recent storms have been exceptionally cold. Long range forecasts now suggest more storms will continue to march across the Pacific and into the range over the next several weeks so the snow pack may even become deeper. At this point we can confidently state our summer backpacking season will not be normal and instead most likely to follow historic big winters like 1982, 1986, 1995, 2011, 2017. That noted it is possible a warm tropical pineapple express AR event could still occur and reduce pack depths below 8k. Above that, snow is now so deep that even wet storms will only just soak in.

Those making summer backpacking plans must thus adjust pushing back dates a few weeks. Terrain at elevations that are usually snow free and greening at dates, especially without sun exposures will takes weeks longer to melt out. Highways and roads to reach trailheads will remain closed into early summer making access for some already reserved trips impossible. Larger streams may be dangerous or impassable. Timberline lakes may be accessible though still frozen. Usual camping spots even if snow free may be muddy and or puddles of water. Trails along timberline canyon bottoms may be buried under enormous piles of avalanche debris full of huge snapped trees. Backpacking passes and especially north facing cross country passes may require ice axe and or crampons. Mosquito season will last much longer including into August about meadow and forest areas. Wildflowers and greenery will be delayed in rising. Trail quotas for mid and late season will quickly reserve out while early summer permittees will often end up canceling. Stories will make news and blogs of PCT and JMT thru hikers getting into trouble and worse.
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Yes 2019 is now a BIG winter

Post by JWreno »

I am looking forward to my Glen Aulin area 3 nighter the 2nd week of June. I am sure we will be camping on snow. I think the river will be an impassable torrent and the falls should be awesome. I don't think we will actually camp at Glen Aulin because of the bridge to the campsite is out still.

I plan on a lot of photos and video of the multiple falls near Glen Aulin.

Reno has almost an annual level of total water for the year to date in only about 7 weeks. My son has been shuttle driving the Truckee/Tahoe area the last 3 weeks and the snowbanks are now epic.
Jeff
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Alternative title: Ski season is AWESOME this year and will last until August!
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I am still waiting to make decisions. We have a few months ahead and the spring melt is yet to come. Regardless of residual snowpack, there probably will be high stream flows.

Desolation may not be the best early season choice this year. The CDEC graph shows this year at this point, exactly same as 2011
IMG_0853.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Let's totally turn this into a "winter in June" pic collection :)

Lake Aloha, June 24th, 2017
LakeAloha_2017.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

I am looking forward to my Glen Aulin area 3 nighter the 2nd week of June.
With even more snow coming in, I would not count on the road will be opening by mid June, in 2017 we has 177%, road opened on 6/29.
Here are the opening dates: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tiogaopen.htm
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
JWreno
Topix Regular

Post by JWreno »

Good point on road opening date. Didn't think of that. Hiking in from Virginia Lakes would require a bit more time and involve at least one dangerous crossing at Return creek. I put in my permit request for June 14th on January 9th. Maybe I need to put in another for the beginning of July as a backup plan.

I was going to do a short Yosemite trip to celebrate my eligibility for a National Park Senior Pass in June. My wife can get one next year which will make two car shuttles at Yosemite easier.
Jeff
juniper395
Topix Newbie

Post by juniper395 »

c9h13no3 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:09 am Alternative title: Ski season is AWESOME this year and will last until August!
This made my day! Guess I'll have to skin up my splitboard to get around :P
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Counting the eggs a little bit early, I think. It's an above average year for sure but comparison to previous years is dubious at best. And long range forecasts are next to worthless. I hope we get even more snow and have an unusually cold spring but I wouldn't put money on it. I'm just so glad that it's not another drought year.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Yep definitely canceling plans to hike over Kaweah Gap, etc at the end of June. Who knows, may cancel my late July plans as well.