Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

Post by rlown »

Welcome aboard, SuKi! If you have any pictures of your hikes abroad, feel free to post them in "beyond the Sierra Nevada" section. Love to see a pic of Lily as well.

Ask any questions you want. You'll get answers. :)

Thank you for your service.
wsp_scott
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by wsp_scott »

I just posted a trip report of my first time in the Sierra viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19052
Long story short, I fell in love and want to move to Lone Pine, sadly my wife would never agree :)

I'm from FL but live in KY. I do most of my hiking/backpacking in the SE Appalachians (mostly solo), but I am already planning next summer in the Sierra, lots of questions coming your way.

I also started a blog a couple years ago when I realized that I was never looking at the photos I took during trips. In the last couple years, I started carrying a dslr (first a Nikon D5100 and last year I got a Sony A72) and a tripod. If you want to see what the southeast looks like you can check it out https://backpackandbeer.blogspot.com/
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Scott,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for the link, enjoyed the photo's, especially the one's you took in Sweden. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
wsp_scott
Topix Regular

Post by wsp_scott »

maverick wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:26 pm Hi Scott,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for the link, enjoyed the photo's, especially the one's your took in Sweden. :nod:
Glad you liked the Sweden ones, that was a great trip
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

wspscott wrote:
... you can check it out ...
I checked it out, nice views from the summit! Welcome to HST.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
dustybottoms21
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by dustybottoms21 »

Howdy everyone. My name is Dusty and I currently live in NY. I joined here to find some ideas/inspiration for a trip to SEKI or the surrounding wilderness areas in June. Earlier this year I backpacked Great Smokey Mountain NP and the year before I hiked Canyonlands NP in the Needles District. Both were amazing.

I'm really looking forward to getting this next trip right too and I'm hoping ya'll can help out with that!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Dusty,

Welcome aboard HST! :)

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Welcome Mavrick,

I like the sound of your "off-route adventures."

Mavrick wrote:
Free Solo'd the Swiss Arete Route.... yeah not what I was going for but that's what happened. Hit me up sometime and I'll give you the gory details of my "AMAZING" route finding ability.
I reckon lost is just a state of mind. We rarely have a set plan- at least on our long trips. So, we're looking forward to your posts. Ian and Lizzie.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
fpb56
Topix Acquainted

Post by fpb56 »

My name is Rick, an old guy that started backpacking Yosemite in the 60’s. I stopped in the mid 70’s and just started backpacking again about 5 years ago. Man I love today’s gear. I pretty much stick to the high country in Yosemite but would like to do the JMT soon. I’ll be in Yosemite backpacking mid July for a week.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Rick,

Welcome to HST! :)