Winter Hopes and Inspiration

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Winter Hopes and Inspiration

Post by Harlen »

I was watching big heavy clouds moving from the coast here toward our Sierra mountains. It looks like a foot of new snow might fall between now and early next week... and then it may keep on coming. I think it's time to ski into the range from Yosemite or Echo Summit, or ???

I have my gloved fingers crossed- it's been frosty cold in the mornings, the roofs are white with frost, and that makes me dream of the snowy Sierra!

I just found an inspirational video featuring the French famous speed and endurance skier-runner-climber Kilian Jornet, attempting to link together a series of high Peaks in Norway. I hope it comes across here:
https://youtu.be/7eVBrMcflDE Yes it did; I hope you enjoy it.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Re: Winter Hopes and Inspiration

Post by Harlen »

I just watched the above Kilian video again, and noted that when he completed his route up he had ascended 9,002 meters (29,700 feet) in this long day in the mountains (23.28 hr.). That is a lot of uphill- or does the 9002 meters elevation figure include elevation gain and loss? Longri?

The other great message from Jornet was this line- sure to inspire us all:

"I like it to suffer. I really love it, to be out many hours suffering."

Happy Suffering to us all in the New Year. Ian and Lizzie.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

I am suffering from not being able to suffer. Broke my collarbone cycling in early Feb. Missing the entire ski season here in the nearly flat Midwest.

Starting to plan some August adventures, just to have something to look forward to. Going to find me some careful suffering with a new found respect for gravity.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Broke my collarbone cycling in early Feb.
Ouch, wish you speedy and full recovery Peter!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

Wow, that's really inspiring. And so far out there as to seem like a dream. I once did 4500m of ascent in a day... on my bicycle. That guy was just having so much fun. But the thing is it's just as good at whatever level you're at.

Looks like we've got a nice snow pack this year, so nice to see. I totally missed the winter this year but I'm looking forward to getting out for spring skiing, as soon as it stops precipitating so much.