Unpopular Opinion: The JMT sucks

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!

Does the JMT suck?

Yes
20%
Yes!
17%
Cake.
63%

Total votes: 30

Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Unpopular Opinion: The JMT sucks

Post by Jimr »

What's a JMT?
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Jimr wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:27 pmWhat's a JMT?
The Jack Main Trail. It's in Yosemite. Everyone knows that's what we're talking about right?
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

The Jack Main Trail. It's in Yosemite. Everyone knows that's what we're talking about right?
I like Ardeth Lake. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
stringbop
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by stringbop »

The JMT is the perfect trail to get a sampler of the Sierras. If you were visiting from out of the country and this may be the only time you get to see Sierras, then this trail would be hard to beat with all it encompasses. But for us that live in Cali or within driving distance, there are better ways to splt it up and explore the very best the Sierras has to offer. So yeah it sucks if you live close by and have more options available to you. But if you had only one trip here, the JMT would be a no-brainer.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Practice with me: It is Sierra.
Even my local weather channel meteoroligsts get it right.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Post by TahoeJeff »

rlown wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:11 pm Practice with me: It is Sierra.

Russ, didn't we already have a thread about this?

How come "the Winds", "the Rockies" & "the Cascades" are OK, but not "the Sierras"?!?!?!
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Because it's the Wind River Range. The Rocky Mountain Range. The Cascade Range. But the Sierra Nevada literally means the Snowy Range. If you wanted to call it the Snowies, OK with me. But Sierra means Range. We don't say the Wind Ranges, or the Rocky Ranges, or the Cascade Ranges.

Admittedly, this is a geeky discussion. But given the percentage of our population that speaks Spanish, it shouldn't be a stretch to get the language right on this one.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Actually, the reason the Sierra is singular is that it really is a single mountain range geologically, geographically, topographically, and ecologically. The "Rockies" refers to multiple separate mountain ranges with different geology and even different time of formation.
-Phil
freestone
Topix Expert

Post by freestone »

Well...We do often break down the Sierra into regional areas...Sierra south, Eastern and so on, so maybe "Las Sierras" does have some validity? I think even Clarence King often used the plural version in his book. And finally, if we use a Spanish word in the English language, does it still need to follow the Spanish language rules? Sierra is certainly a Spanish word, but we are speaking English here, are we not?
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien