Peak Suggestions

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
stringbop
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Peak Suggestions

Post by stringbop »

Looking for suggestions for 3 peaks to climb with killer views along the following route.

I’m cutting over to the JMT from the Pine Creek TH (Lake Italy) out thru the Whitney Portal. But I am taking a detour down thru Lake Reflection over Longley Pass to the Colby Pass Trail south, then back over Milestone Pass to Tyndall Creek. So I will be bypassing the JMT from Vidette Meadows to Tyndall Creek (I have hiked this area already).

I was thinking Seven Gables, Mt. Brewer and Mt. Sill. But not sure about Seven Gables anymore….

Oh also I will do Milestone Mountain when I am going over Milestone Pass (so 4 peaks including this).

I’m comfortable with Class 3. I'll have Ice Axe and Crampons as well.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!
kursavwilage
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Peak Suggestions

Post by kursavwilage »

I have climbed both Mt Brewer and Mt Sill. The view on Mt Brewer is so spectacular that I climbed it twice, once in 1987 and again in 2003. I did the Swiss Arete on Mt Sill, the climb and the view were great. I have always thought that Mt Genevra would offer a great view because of it's location and plan on climbing it someday......
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Mount Brewer is pretty good in late summer. Another good one that is a bit off the beaten track is Mount Cotter, again in late summer.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Brewer has great views. To see some photos, go to: http://www.sierrahiker.com/MtBrewer/index.htm
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

As Bill suggested in the old trip report, getting from Lake Reflection up close to the summit is not difficult. Then you have to swing around to the south side and get to the summit from the south-southwest. It really dinged the hell out of my shins. I had camped at the south end of Lake Reflection.
DavidCamero
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by DavidCamero »

sekihiker wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:38 pm Brewer has great views. To see some photos, go to: http://www.sierrahiker.com/MtBrewer/index.htm
Just checked it, very insightful post and photos. I hope the views haven't changed much since 1991. Checking this guide or check out this guide - homepage
henryfk
Topix Novice

Post by henryfk »

Looking for some input. I was gonna use Sphinx Creek appraoch to do Farquhar, North Guard, Brewer, and South Guard in a 5+ day trip. It is mentioned the route up South Guard is the north ridge from Brewer Col. The thought was to get both of these in a day before heading over Longley to Reflection Lake. Anyone with experience or input on these? Thanks.
looks easy from here
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by looks easy from here »

Not an answer to your question, but when are you planning on heading over Longley? I got a pretty good look at it yesterday from Little Joe Pass, and the cornice stretches most of the way across right now.
Fviolich
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Fviolich »

I've just registered to HST and hope this post is following protocol. I had a question for looks easy from here as it souds like you were in an area that my wife and I are planning to be the last week of August. We're trying to decide the best way to get from Lake South America to Lake Reflection considering snow. The choice seems to be Harrison Pass or Little Joe Pass. We're leaning toward Little Joe based on other discussions and its west-facing orientation. Any thoughts...and thanks!
henryfk
Topix Novice

Post by henryfk »

Doing the trip starting this Sunday through next week. I guess if it's that bad and we can't climb around it, we will backtrack down Sphinx.
Any suggestions on good camp sites below Farquhar and Brewer?