Later Than Normal Opening For Many Yosemite Facilities

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Later Than Normal Opening For Many Yosemite Facilities

Post by maverick »

Yosemite NP:
Significant damage from heavy winter snowpack has resulted in delayed openings

Yosemite National Park announces that there will be late seasonal openings to facilities throughout the park. These late openings are due to the exceptionally heavy snowpack in Yosemite National Park and the subsequent extensive damage to many park facilities.

Yosemite National Park experienced significant snowfall over the winter season. The March 1 snow survey showed that both the Merced and Tuolumne River drainages are measuring at approximately 143 percent of normal (the final snow survey of the year will be conducted on April 1). Several significant storm systems in January and February produced high levels of snow, which resulted in temporary road closures, rock and debris slides, and falling trees. Additionally, these storms resulted in extensive damage to facilities throughout the park. Damage to facilities includes trees falling on and damaging campground restrooms, utilities systems compromised, tent cabins damaged or destroyed, and falling trees impacting campsites, parking areas, hiking trails, and roads.

Although the park will begin plowing the Glacier Point and Tioga Roads in April, neither road is anticipated to be open before Memorial Day. Extensive snow along Tioga Road portends a late opening, park visitors should plan accordingly.

For the latest updates on park programs and facilities, please visit www.nps.gov/yose.

Several facilities operated by Yosemite Hospitality, the park’s primary Concessioner, are also expected to open later than usual. For the latest information on concession-operated programs and facilities, please visit https://www.travelyosemite.com/.

Park visitors should anticipate additional late openings, including the installation of the Half Dome cables, the Mariposa Grove Visitor Shuttle, and vehicular access to the Mariposa Grove parking areas.

As spring temperatures begin to warm, the park will see significant snowmelt resulting in higher levels of water in river and streams. This cold and swift-moving water poses a potential hazard to park visitors. All visitors are reminded to take special precautions around water, especially around stream-crossings. Even the best swimmers can find themselves in a difficult situation under the current water conditions.

For updated 24-hour road and weather conditions for Yosemite National Park, please call 209-372-0200 and press 1.
https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/news/yos ... lekLRo50JQ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Re: Later Than Normal Opening For Many Yosemite Facilities

Post by bobby49 »

I'm trying to translate this park information for delaying my summer backpacking trips. If on a normal year I would go on a particular trail at July 1, then this year maybe I should delay by two weeks or three weeks.
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

Redundant post? I already posted this on Wednesday. http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... 34&t=19292
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Redundant post? I already posted this on Wednesday. http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... 34&t=19292
Not quite, we have a few different pictures. :D
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

From Yosemite -
We appreciate your patience with delays and changes to park operations due to the heavy snow this winter. We have two updates to share today:

😀 Repairs to Upper Pines Campground facilities are nearing completion, and the campground is set to reopen this Friday, April 12!

😞 Yosemite's High Sierra Camps will not open this year due to above-average snowpack, lack of access to water for bathrooms and kitchens, and other infrastructure challenges. Tuolumne Meadows Lodge and White Wolf will open (it's too early to predict when; dates will depend on when Tioga Road opens). If you had a reservation at one of the High Sierra Camps, you will be contacted directly.
Mountainman who swims with trout
fpb56
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by fpb56 »

Do you know if the store in Tuolumne Meadows will be open? Just wondering
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

fpb56 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:40 pm Do you know if the store in Tuolumne Meadows will be open? Just wondering
Store will indeed be opening... sometime this summer but as to when - No news on that yet, but I'll be there again. My guess is mid June.
Rumor has it that the Glacier Point road plow starts the 15th, but no news yet on 120.
mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

With the High Sierra Camps closed this summer, the areas around the camp locations will be much quieter and less crowded for backpacking.
-Phil
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

Oh man I'm excited for way less mule and horse poop on trails near the camps! Might change my plans to hike more in those areas that I usually avoid.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
fpb56
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by fpb56 »

Thanks all