RIP Turtleggjp

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
seanr
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

RIP Turtleggjp

Post by seanr »

Some sad news to pass along-- https://www.ktnv.com/news/california-ma ... ional-park

Matt was an enthusiastic, kind, authentic explorer who loved to take videos of his many adventures, especially when he could capture his Sierra Challenge friends in some of the footage. He helped invent and champion a new element of Sierra Challenge, the Aqua Jersey, as extra encouragement to live life to the fullest by jumping in as many Sierra lakes and creeks as possible. He became known more recently for grilling awesome feasts for everyone at camp. A loving son, he encouraged his mom, sister, and nephews to join him in the Sierra and will be dearly missed.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: RIP Turtleggjp

Post by c9h13no3 »

Yeah, saw this last night. Sucks, I watched a ton of his videos on Vimeo.

Be safe out there.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
srb
Topix Novice

Post by srb »

I too have appreciated his many videos. The Sierra Challenge, and the mountains in general, won't be the same without him. Sad, sad, sad.
IMG_9743 (2).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Sad news. Never knew him personally, but his videos had a charm to them that made me revisit them again and again, and at times made me feel like I knew him. Condolences to his friends and family.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

thank you sean for posting! Sierra challenge is such a close group of people it is hard to lose one.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Iris
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by Iris »

Matt will be dearly missed. :tear:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Watched and loved his videos. Sad to hear this. Condolences to his family and friends.
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by davidsheridan »

RIP Turtleggjp. Very sad to hear this. Never met him, but he inspired me for sure. Condolences to friends and family
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

I'm surprised I didn't see this post until now. Turtleggjp was very generous on HST with his videos. Such a pleasure to watch! A gift to the world to cherish. His loss a reminder of the preciousness of life.