Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Food allergy - Nausea on the trail - Must Read!

Post by freestone »

My magic elixir for all ailments not easily diagnosed, especially for acid reflux is a daily regimen of Braggs raw apple cider vinegar, even on the trail. I'm a former skeptic who is now a believer.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Post by TahoeJeff »

freestone wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:31 am a daily regimen of Braggs raw apple cider vinegar, even on the trail
How much? How often?
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
grampy
Topix Regular

Post by grampy »

One more suggestion (to Rightstar76) is to try adding chopped candied ginger (instead of apples or apricots) to your oatmeal ... (if you like ginger, that is). With its strong spicy flavor, you don’t need to use very much, and lots of people find it to be naturally soothing to an upset stomach.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

TahoeJeff wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:49 am
freestone wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:31 am a daily regimen of Braggs raw apple cider vinegar, even on the trail
How much? How often?
https://www.healthline.com/health/diges ... cid-reflux
grampy
Topix Regular

Post by grampy »

The raw cider vinegar is awesome! (if you can get past the vile smell & taste) :eek:. If you like those sour Belgian ales/beers, then this stuff will go down like nectar.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

grampy wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:30 pm The raw cider vinegar is awesome! (if you can get past the vile smell & taste) :eek:. If you like those sour Belgian ales/beers, then this stuff will go down like nectar.
I immediately think about kombucha. I don't like the expensive stuff at stores. Too much flavoring and too much fizz. I do not like buying an expensive drink just to have a third of it bubble over and into the sink. I make it two gallons at a time and can flavor it as I desire.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

Kimchi is the superfood. All the others pale in comparison. Kimchi cured me of pancreatic cancer. It caused my prematurely balding head to sprout hair again. I'm 67 years old and I have fathered 27 children in the last five years. I can run a marathon in under 4 hours. It's all due to the miracle of kimchi.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

way too funny.. :)
freestone
Topix Expert

Post by freestone »

TahoeJeff wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:49 am
How much? How often?
Bragg's suggests starting with 2 tsp in water 2-4 times daily. I started 2 tsp (or capfuls) in 4 oz of water nightly before bedtime religiously, then chase it with another glass of water. Some people add honey but I just go for the gusto and sans the flavorings. Now I do it in the morning after breakfast as well. I think it has to be raw apple cider vinegar as well, I just buy Bragg's, they started the regimen and its readily available in all the markets.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

longri wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:49 pm I'm 67 years old and I have fathered 27 children in the last five years.
How many girlfriends do you have? :lol:
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.