Winter to Spring, eastern SF Bay Area Hills

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Winter to Spring, eastern SF Bay Area Hills

Post by giantbrookie »

I do not do winter sports in the High Sierra so I wait for the thaw to get up there in the summer---things will be a bit late this year. In the meantime, I've been getting in some fun and scenic hiking in the eastern Bay Area connected to geology: geologic mapping for research on Mt Diablo (Jan to April), and teaching plus research at Sunol Regional Wilderness (Apr. 12-18). These hikes have seen the changing of the seasons from snow and hail on Mt Diablo to the superb wildflower bloom in Sunol Regional Wilderness last week. Some photos follow.
1770MosesRockRinSnow.jpg
0247hailround1.jpg
1829SFcloseup.jpg
1812crystalrange.jpg
2078waterfalllookingdown.jpg
2084flowerson2201.jpg
2165serpNof2178flowersdarker.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Re: Winter to Spring, eastern SF Bay Area Hills

Post by SSSdave »

That is outstanding,. Thanks for the heads up GB. The serpentine outcrops I've seen are just north of the McCorkle Trail after passing west of the W Tree stream. I normally climb that cross country from the Camp 45 Ohlone Road via the slope just west of where the W Tree stream as it has no poison oak. I haven't hiked in the park in a few years so given how lushly green it is this spring will take a break from all the image processing I've been doing from my 3 desert wildflower road trips and go up there on a morning Tuesday thru Thursday that shows light breezes.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Re: Winter to Spring, eastern SF Bay Area Hills

Post by rightstar76 »

Gosh giantbrookie, you've got a great zoom lens! Those are some really amazing views.